Rab VR summit compared to the old VR range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dti 16 Nov 2023

My old (2009) blue Rab VR jacket is finally giving up. Its been patched 3 times and is going to be retired for mucky garden and DIY duties... I really love this jacket and have worn it for UK climbing, in the alps, Scottish winter, winter running and biking and just for sitting outside on summer evenings. I love the fact it's so good for so many different things. 

I'm tempted to buy another VR jacket but to my horror there appears to be a variety of options. I was wondering if those of you in the know/have had both jackets would be able to tell me - is the VR summit the most similar to the old jackets? Or should I forget about VR as in the many years since something else has come along that is as versatile and breathable yet windproof. 

Thanks in advance!

ste_d 16 Nov 2023
In reply to dti:

I have both and personally I prefer the old lining as a do it all, all round layer

The new vr light for me doesn't quick fast enough or dry fast enough for me

The new vr summit lining is good but perhaps best reserved for colder conditions 

Ever tried driclime?

OP dti 16 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

Hi - not tried driclime. Will have a look, thanks!

Andypeak 16 Nov 2023
In reply to dti:

I've got an old driclime and my wife has got an old vapour rose and the fabric is very similar. They are very nice jackets which I would highly recommend, also considerably cheaper 

ste_d 16 Nov 2023
In reply to dti:

The thing I do like about the new vr range is the face fabric, pertex quantum air seems like a good compromise between breathability and windproofness and durability

Oh and I meant wicking not quick in my original post!

Mike-W-99 16 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

I’ve got a few of the new vr (summit and alpine light) and 2 beat up old style ones(labels too faded). Find I sweat much more in the newer ones.

Also don’t like the cut of the new models and the pockets aren’t as good.

Post edited at 17:51
 Maximusf 17 Nov 2023
In reply to dti:

The older VR has a felt lining material in the pants which I find amazingly good. Alot of people like the mountain equipment kinesis maybe that might be suitable. Anyone got one, I've only tried one on and it seemed quite light and similar to vapour rise. 

Best wishes max

Post edited at 12:56
 GEd_83 17 Nov 2023
In reply to dti:

I've had exactly the same dilemma! Having tried the new VR range on, plus the ME kinesis, I'm going to go with the ME Kinesis as that seems the most similar to the old style VRs jackets. My mate has one and really rates it as a 'do everything' jacket.

OP dti 18 Nov 2023

thanks all! Off to do battle with choice paralysis...

timparkin 18 Nov 2023
In reply to Maximusf:

> The older VR has a felt lining material in the pants which I find amazingly good. Alot of people like the mountain equipment kinesis maybe that might be suitable. Anyone got one, I've only tried one on and it seemed quite light and similar to vapour rise. 

The ME Kinesis might be the most useful and my favourite piece of gear.. It breathes so well, it's warm and sheds a fair bit of water and dries quickly. The lining feels lovely too... Mine survived a bit of thrutching up the Old Man of Hoy so it's fairly robust too... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...