REVIEW: Rab Ionosphere 5.5 Sleeping Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 Jul 2023

Rab are new to camping mats, and this warm-but-lightweight 4-season model suggests they're off to a great start, says John McKenna. 

Read more

AliRLee 04 Jul 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Great review!

mim tiller 06 Jul 2023

Cute pics

Garethza 06 Jul 2023

Slightly off topic, but what tent is that? Looks like a Hubba Hubba but its a different brand?

galpinos 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Garethza:

Looks like a Sea to Summit Alto to me.

Post edited at 10:53
In reply to Garethza:

It's a Sea to Summit Telos TR2.

We will be reviewing this sometime in the near future.

Jamie Hageman 06 Jul 2023

Why should I buy this over the new Thermarest NeoAir Xlite NXT?  The Thermarest is half the weight, a much smaller pack size, and an R value of 4.5 so not bad.  They also do a smaller version at 168cm which would be perfect for me as I have my head on my rucksack and stuff sack filled with gloves, socks etc.  Do you think the extra R rating of the RAB would make much of a difference?

TobyA 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> Why should I buy this over the new Thermarest NeoAir Xlite NXT?  The Thermarest is half the weight, a much smaller pack size, and an R value of 4.5 so not bad.  

Are they similar in price? Or one cheaper than the other?

In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby!  The RAB is slightly cheaper at £170 RRP while the Thermarest is RRP £210.  The cheapest online price seems to be about £150 for the RAB and £170 for the Thermarest. 

Hi Jamie, 

Both are great mats in my opinion. I guess it depends on your use case/preferences. If you really prioritise weight and pack size then Thermarest may be a better option for you. Certainly, if you feel that the size options of the Ionosphere won't provide you with any real benefit over a smaller mat then this could be a good option. I find the Ionosphere to be a much comfier mat, partly down to the accommodating dimensions and thickness (although with thickness there is not much difference now with the new Xlite NXT) but also due to the orientation of the baffles providing that cradling effect. If you can then I'd advise heading into a shop and having a lie down on each, as climbers we can often be too focused on weight/pack size (which in your case may be justifiable), but for me, comfort is often king.

As I say in the review, I haven't had the chance to spend a night in real cold but you can feel there is very little heat transfer to the ground when you lie down on the Ionosphere. I guess if you are planning a winter summit camp when painting etc then the extra R-value will provide you with a slightly better sleep. Although for much UK use outside of really cold conditions then 4.5 will probably provide you with a comfortable enough sleep providing the rest of your sleep system is appropriate.

galpinos 06 Jul 2023

I can't talk about these specific mats but I do have:

Thermarest Neoair Uberlite

Exped Ultra 3R

Mountain Equipment Aerostat

and even ignoring the thickness differential, the longitudinal tubes of the ME and Exped are a lot comfier than the transverse tubes of the Neoair. The Neoair is for mountain marathons only (too uncomfy/cold for anything else), the ME mat is for winter or car camping (so comfy and warm, I have the regular wide) and the Exped is for everything else (the mummy shape is too narrow for me really but warm for three seasons and surprisingly comfy for such a small light package).

TobyA 06 Jul 2023

I wince at the price of good mats these days! But I guess one advantage of the RAB is that you've got 40 quid left in your pocket. I know that after years of good service from some item of kit, you completely forget that you paid 50 quid more for it over the cheaper alternative, but still, after nearly 50 years I can never remember that when I'm actually doing some shopping. Parcel came yesterday with some Rab softshell shorts I had ordered along with a hoody that I had particularly wanted. The shorts were on a great discount - the shop can't have made that much on them, so they seemed a great deal. My wife's first comment: "they're a REALLY weird shade of green..." heavy with scepticism. I could have paid a tenner more to get some in a slightly less vibrant hue, and in 5 years time when they are my favourite shorts would not have remembered the tenner saved. Now I'll have years of my partners' raised eyebrow and general air of disappointment in her life choices every time I wear my very green shorts.

In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the comments

I've never paid more than £40 for my second hand Thermarests, but I'd love to get something a bit more comfortable and winter-resistant than those.  I'm waiting for a great special offer!

Post edited at 18:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...