Phantom Techs and G5 EVOs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 24 Nov 2023

I managed to end up with a pair of both at the end of last winter to replace my ageing phantom guides. 

A privileged place to be in! They both fit pretty well, not much heel lift in either. Same size, toe box is slightly broader in the techs but not much. Techs are about 100g lighter per foot.

I'll sell one and keep the other. For Scottish winter and alpine ice / shoulder seasons / (maybe pushing a bit of winter)

Is there even much to choose between? 

Stealth for sale if you need a 9.5.

RBK 24 Nov 2023
In reply to neuromancer: I think the G5’s are meant to be a bit warmer but slightly clunkier but if you’ve used both you’d be better placed to say! The older Phantom Techs are shocking in a cold chamber with a thermal imaging camera for what that’s worth.

OP neuromancer 24 Nov 2023
In reply to RBK:

These are the newer ones - do most people think they're too cold for alpine ice etc or say Norway? 

I've used neither in anger. Maybe i should just wear one on each foot for my next outing and see which foot is more miserable! 

CameronDuff14 25 Nov 2023
In reply to neuromancer:

I'm well jealous of your predicament!

Honestly they are both stonking boots, and leaps and bounds better than boots 10 years ago.

I believe the phantoms are slightly lighter...? Maybe?

But I imagine it should just come down to which ones you find more comfortable/fit better!

In reply to neuromancer:

How are the new versions of both boots sizing up compared to street shoes?

I tried them on a few years ago and found them true to size, but that may have changed. 

blackcat 25 Nov 2023
In reply to neuromancer:

Ive had the phantom techs from 2021 the  latest version ive seen and it looks like the top of the boot is different,thats just looking at them.The 2021 version which i had were not warm enough for me so i bought the g5 evos.the g5s are a much warmer boot but id say the techs felt nimbler and walked a bit better,that said i do like the g5 evos great looking boot and feel very stable on small footholds also the sole on this boot is a beast.Size wise the g5s same size as streetwear and the tech were half size up but i put another footbed in.

cacheson 27 Nov 2023
In reply to RBK:

That sounds like an interesting test! Do you have any further details on that, like a link or video? Seems to align with my experience of the phantom techs- I finally decided to sell them while massaging the feeling back into my toes on the summit of Naso del Liskamm...

im off 27 Nov 2023
In reply to neuromancer:

I've got g5s. Tried this weekend first time. The shin strap dug in and gave me some blisters. From what I can find on internet other people also found this. I think probably user error/ teething issues.

Anyone else? I'll try minimal use of this strap....

The tongue doesn't fully pad right across the front. Not for me anyway.

Other than that they were good so far.

OP neuromancer 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

To be honest after many years I think the idea of a 'street' size or 'true to size' mostly baloney. 

I wear 6.5 scarpa stix, 7.5 instincts, 9 wide loake dress shoes, 27 Maestrales (think that's an 8?), 9.5 Timberland Boots, 10 Nnormal Kjerags, 10 converse allstars and 10.5 Hoka Mafate Speed 4's. Which of those is my 'street' shoe?

Both phantom's and g5s are 9.5 and are perfect. Wide, flat foot with relatively low instep. 

Yes very lucky but snapped both up on eBay for less than 150 each at end of season.

Post edited at 18:20
 ColdWill 27 Nov 2023
In reply to im off:

Same here, my G5 evo are pretty harsh on the front of the ankle. I have to pull the strap quite hard to prevent heel lift. They don't appear to be softening up either. If the strap is loose I get significant heel lift. I can adjust them inc the strap without taking my gloves off tho so that is a bonus.

I'm a 45 in the G5 and a 45.5 in Nepal/Phanton tech etc. I think they're great for none technical type activity but if I'm front pointing anything then my old Techs (with the wierd annoying gaiters) are still better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...