Petzl Swift RL old versus new

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 26 Dec 2023

Is anyone up on the specs of old v new for this torch? What do you get with the newest one which wasn't on the old? I've done some Googling but can't seem to find that info. Thanks.

random_watcher 26 Dec 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

New one is 1100 lumens max compared to 900 on the older model. New model also is USB C. 

In reply to bpmclimb:

I purchased a new one the other day because the housing has cracked on my old one and the lock button doesn’t work anymore. 

I don’t think I’ve actually used the new one yet but here are some observations:

The lock on the new appears more substantial. It’s a push and hold Jobbie, rather than a slide across. 

the new one charges with USB c not micro USB

Amazingly the new torch will accept batteries from the old version and vice versa. 

Dave the Rave 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> I purchased a new one the other day because the housing has cracked on my old one and the lock button doesn’t work anymore. 

> I don’t think I’ve actually used the new one yet but here are some observations:

> The lock on the new appears more substantial. It’s a push and hold Jobbie, rather than a slide across. 

> the new one charges with USB c not micro USB

> Amazingly the new torch will accept batteries from the old version and vice versa. 

It’s not a Fenix Hm65R though.

In reply to Dave the Rave:

> It’s not a Fenix Hm65R though.

what is one of those?!

TobyA 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

The UKC Skoda Octavia of headtorches apparently. 😀

abcdef 27 Dec 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

New one has the red lighting mode as standard, which was only available on the pro version before.

I like the reactive light so far, but was expecting a bit more oomph from 1100L but I guess that is hard to determine. The charge seems to last a long time with occasional use. Main annoyance is having to cycle through the beam settings to switch off.

OP bpmclimb 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> It’s not a Fenix Hm65R though.

Oh no! Another contender

The specs of the latest model look impressive, and I like that it's a local company. No red light, though - just trying to decide if that's a problem for me.

nathan79 27 Dec 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

The HM65R "ShadowmMaster" version does have a red light and I'm very tempted to buy one.

deepsoup 27 Dec 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Oh no! Another contender

Several other contenders, there are four different versions!

HM65R-T and HM65R-DT have slightly different LEDs and a different headband to the 'base' model.  And as above, the 'ShadowMaster' variant has the 'flood' LED swapped out for a red one.

Significantly more expensive though, and no 'reactive' lighting if that's an attractive feature of the Petzl Swift RL for you.

ScraggyGoat 27 Dec 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

In the absence of UKC doing a review I’ve borrowed a HM65r.  Brief overview:

positives; feels exceptionally well made, reasonably light, diodes are far enough forward not to cause reflections on glasses rims. Retains last setting used on each light. flood light setting two is fine for general walking, spot light can then be switched easily on/off for feature searching, ie left on maximum, and thus no need to scroll through settings each time you need it. Spot provides quite a broad beam. It has a lock by pressing down on both buttons, and these when the torch is not pivoted are half protected by a shroud to further reduce the chance of it coming on in your sac.

Light is very impressive, I haven’t had long enough to test claimed battery and light outputs times.

Battery replacement/change is easy, and genuinely could be done in the dark blind-folded.

Negatives: No strobe. Straps are only just long enough to go round a helmet (large size BD vapour). Rumours online the new single head band versions have a strap that is too short to go round a helmet. Buttons are bigger than Petzl, being moderately useable with medium thickness gloves (eg ME Rondonee), you’d struggle with mitts or thicker gloves. Some people have reported the light ratchet system for pivoting becomes sloppy with use. No foam on the head plate, but the head band seams to cushion perfectly adequately. Though given the time of year, I haven’t used it much without a beanie. 
Overall I’m probably getting one.

Post edited at 14:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...