Paramo Quito vs Paramo Ostro Windproof + Fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FeelsGoodMan 17 Mar 2021

I'm determined to try Paramo as my next serious waterproof jacket. Having had a Gore Tex before, its waterproofing has been good but even with Gore Tex Active I find I get lots of condesation on my fore-arms and back - leaving me damp on the inside, so not much point in the waterproof.

I'm interested in getting one of Paramo's lightweight options as I'm quite active, go cycling a lot, go hill walking a lot, and do a small amount of fell running.

I feel like the Quito could be a good allrounder but the Ostro system could provide me an all-year round solution. But if one is more breathable than the other, then I will likely go for it. 

Has anyone got experience with the two systems, or similar ones, if so can you advise?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Post edited at 15:27
 girlymonkey 17 Mar 2021
In reply to FeelsGoodMan:

I have the woman's version of the Ostro (can't remember what it is called). It is probably my most worn kit at the moment, particularly for running, but I do find that it's not what I reach for when it's properly wet and I am not running. I am in Scotland so really wet means I want something warmer. I have a heavier weight Paramo which I always go for when the weather is Scottish! 

Jim Lancs 17 Mar 2021

> I'm determined to try Paramo  . . . 

All I can say is 'take care!'   

If you possibly can, I would highly recommend trying to borrow one. It's very hard to compare other people's experience given all the variations in energy output, body temperature, weather conditions / humidity, etc.

I bought an Paramo Altar as a winter do everything type jacket having had a succession of very expensive goretex tops that had never equalled the versatility and comfort of my much loved ventile top of old.  But it has a very narrow satisfactory 'performance window' and I have returned to having separate windproof and waterproof layers as needed.

My gut instinct would be go for the Ostro windproof as an outer layer for most conditions and be prepared to carry/ use a goretex shell when it's tipping down.

spenser 17 Mar 2021

My general feeling is that the Quito would be awful for cycling in unless it is really cold (i.e. -2 and colder).

I have an old one which I bought around 10 years ago, it's pretty good for crap days but I still tend to default to a hardshell.

OP FeelsGoodMan 17 Mar 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Great - so is that the combo of the windproof outer shell plus the windproof fleece?

In reply to Jim Lancs:

Hmm, not sure where I'd be able to borrow one, I've seen they're a fairly controvertial brand when it comes to 'proofing', I suppose I wouldn't mind it not being completely waterproof as long as the comfort factor is high when it's chucking it down.

In reply to spenser:

Awful for cycling? That's a surprise, they market it specifcally for cyclists wanting ventilation options so that you can adjust for temps. Would be a shame if it only sufficed as a winter jacket.

If true the windproof Ostro system might be a better choice for me then.

bouldery bits 17 Mar 2021

I have an Ostro fleece. I use it as an R1 replacement with the additional advantage of some level of moisture resistance. To keep the wind off, I use it with an ME Aerofoil smock (with hood) - not the Paramo Ostro windproof! I find this works really well for those days with occasional showers and squally wind. However, It's not a system I'd use if it was bucketing it down! Here, I would go traditional style hard shell. 

I haven't used this Ostro / windproof system lots yet due to the lockdown restrictions but on the occasions that I have, I have been pleased.

I am using this system as a bit of a replacement for a Buffalo Active shirt. It is a bit more flexible than the active was although doesn't have that 'bomb proof' feel. 

Jim Lancs 17 Mar 2021

>  I wouldn't mind it not being completely waterproof as long as the comfort factor is high when it's chucking it down.

Mine isn't! I don't care how many times you wash it, proof it and tumble dry it, in long days out in the pouring rain it will (quickly / shortly / gradually / eventually * depending on the strength of your love of Paramo) become a limp, soggy, heavy, mess sticking to the you or your layers underneath. 

In reply to bouldery bits:

Fair enough, I wonder how the ME windproof would compare to the Ostro Shell when complementing Paramo's waterproof Ostro system.

From the advice I've seen on here - it does look like the Ostro system could be good for me - but I would indeed be best placed if I take a Gore Tex shell to go over the whole shebang

In reply to Jim Lancs:

That's a real shame - I assume you got a full refund? Was it/is it the Alta III ?

Ridge 17 Mar 2021

I thought you'd get differing viewpoints on paramo stuff! It seems to work for some people and not others. I also suspect there's some variance in the quality of individual garments.

I have an old Paramo Cascada jacket (17 years ish) that is still pretty good inn heavy rain.

I have a newer Paramo Velez smock (13ish years), that could probably be best described as showerproof, as water just pours through the neck and side zips. However it gets a lot of use as it's ideal for a bit cold, bit drizzly, typical UK weather. It's a 'warm windproof' that's ok in rain.

I also have paramo windproof of some description that I run in in winter. Not waterproof though.

TBH I'd be a bit suspicious about the ostro windproof/fleece combo standing up to heavy rain. I think any old windproof would do a similar job twinned with the ostro fleece.

spenser 17 Mar 2021

I'm a big guy (5'11" and 113kg) so I have quite a bit of insulation, however experience walking in the jacket has been of it breathing more poorly on the back than when I am wearing an eVent jacket. I tend to run even hotter when on my bike and would certainly not choose it as a waterproof jacket for cycling in while wearing a rucksack due to the insulation which is provided by the pump liner.

If hanging everything off your bike it may be a bit better as the vent at shoulder blade level will be able to have some airflow going through it. 

For comparison if riding in the wet in summer I would wear a jersey and a Rab Spark jacket (I used to have a smock which would have been even better but it went missing in a hut a couple of years ago), I'll stick a Rab Boreas or one of their Alpha jackets under it if it's colder as part of a modular system I use when touring. I may wear the Quito if I'm just cycling to the wall or some such.

Jim Lancs 17 Mar 2021

>  - I assume you got a full refund?

What? You mean that you can somehow get rid of outdoor gear? Never thought of that - I simply use it for when its performance window is applicable: cold, showery days when you're not going to either over heat or endure hours of heavy rain. 

girlymonkey 17 Mar 2021

> Great - so is that the combo of the windproof outer shell plus the windproof fleece?

I don't know because it's never been warm and wet to try it! I have worn the fleece bit under a warmer paramo many times, and I have run in the windstopper lots and carried the fleece but never needed to combine them.

Removed User 17 Mar 2021

I like the old overhead Enduro fleece which has pit zips and a better hood than the Ostro. Paramo wind proofs are a good purchase. I have a Quito and on the bike I get quite warm in anything other than winter weather. I think if it’s really pouring down you are likely to get damp in Paramo until it eases up. How much of a problem this is depends on the individual.

OP FeelsGoodMan 18 Mar 2021

Thanks for all the replies - great community

DaveHK 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Mine isn't! I don't care how many times you wash it, proof it and tumble dry it, in long days out in the pouring rain it will (quickly / shortly / gradually / eventually * depending on the strength of your love of Paramo) become a limp, soggy, heavy, mess sticking to the you or your layers underneath. 

No no, it's waterproof. WATERPROOF I TELL YOU. You must be doing something wrong with it. Like going out in the rain.  

Ridge 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed Userthetwin:

You prompted me to look up the old enduro. 3/4 front zip (double ended) plus pit zips for venting.

Now discontinued. Why? I'd buy one.

Post edited at 15:55
Removed User 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Went the same way as bondage trousers. Too many zips. 

Ridge 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed Userthetwin:

I must have a fetish for pit zips...

Euge 19 Mar 2021

> I'm determined to try Paramo as my next serious waterproof jacket. Having had a Gore Tex before, its waterproofing has been good but even with Gore Tex Active I find I get lots of condesation on my fore-arms and back - leaving me damp on the inside, so not much point in the waterproof.

I have Paramo but I still get condensation build up in the arms, and nothing can help the back with a backpack on.

Just my 2p

Euge

nastyned 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> I I also suspect there's some variance in the quality of individual garments.

I think so too. I got an Aspira smock, which is bomb proof and has never let in a drop of water. So I then got some Cascada trousers, which have let in water even after being freshly re-proofed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...