OEX Fathom EV200 vs Snugpack Softie 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 novice10 18 Jun 2023

I bought a cheap synthetic ultralight bag to go on a walk through the Balkans and Turkey, the OEX Fathom EV200. I have decided that I am going to need a warmer synthetic bag, and it needs to have a larger width for my upper body (I have quite broad shoulders, and I find myself having to leave one zip open so I can sleep with one of my arms outside the sleeping bag), but I still want to take a very hard line on price and weight. I want it to be synthetic, as I tie it to the front of my chest, even in the rain (so it does get wet because it's not in my rucksack), and even if it just got damp from weeks of condensation or shenanigans like falling in a river getting to a laundrette to dry a down sleeping bag would often be very very inconvenient.

My friend is joining me for part of the way in Bosnia, and he may be able to bring a replacement sleeping bag with him if I order it to his house. It is called the Snugpak Softie 3 (Pertex), and has a 5C comfort rating:

ebay.co.uk/itm/334900667125?hash=item4df9a2a2f5%3Ag%3AQ7AAAOSwV8Rkc4er&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwGWWinqHpyfrPvX5ghGgEeiTm97%2F69pOIf026czSU5k4e%2BJfZhUuwXFNwyUdwfbmMm0h2UqlENjfQul9OyYjV9U1SJg7eIycSgKHNFJRO9kZwjLMo%2FNWIyz3ijLbK5gaSUuJ5M%2FwEZOA0wk9vhhsrkDoEq9SzZO2hsIHBJUw80p33ov3ngc0xLgJdYSNf0agkDNRY7swojppNUl4QHL%2F1ZXhMIfZkWxsVYKcLizjTgPaCqlUIrG2NybTKpGdc1ynIA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4rHzY-XYg&LH_ItemCondition=3000

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904987/oex-fathom-ev-200-sleeping-bag-159049...

Would this be better (eg significantly warmer, with more width for my upper body, and with equal or better build quality) than the Oex Fathom EV200?

For reference there is a forum discussion on Snugpak here: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/hill_talk/snugpak-753876

Cheers

Luke90 18 Jun 2023
In reply to novice10:

> I want it to be synthetic, as I tie it to the front of my chest, even in the rain (so it does get wet because it's not in my rucksack), and even if it just got damp from weeks of condensation or shenanigans like falling in a river getting to a laundrette to dry a down sleeping bag would often be very very inconvenient.

Can't comment on your main question about the sleeping bag comparison but have you considered a dry bag? Even a synthetic bag is going to be grim to sleep in if it gets properly damp, let alone dunked in a river. Dry bags weigh practically nothing and don't cost much either. Definitely worth having for your sleeping bag and probably worth considering for some other pieces you want to keep dry as well.

misterb 18 Jun 2023
In reply to novice10:

That ebay bag is many years old, and looks as limp as a lettuce, not worth buying IMO

A new softie 3 is a good bag with double zip and extension panel if you need it for more room, they are big on width anyway

A new softie 2 would be weaker than the second hand one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...