Narrow heal, wide foot B2 Boot recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Brogden 08 Dec 2023

Hi, I'm looking for a B2 boot for easy winter adventures, narrow heel and wide foot, but also a size 40, a lot of boots only go down to 41, tried on most if not all sportiva and scarpa, some mammut, and salewa, all lose in the heel or tight in the tow box Folks saying German brands, but not many places in the UK stock after brexit, any recommendations?? TiA 

CameronDuff14 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Mike Brogden:

It could be worth trying some with different insoles?

Brands like superfeet have a much deeper heel cup on their insoles than standard ones, and this can help keep your heels in place. A lot of shops should have some to try mixing and matching with different boots and insoles. Obvs experimenting with sock thickness could be useful too!

peebles boy 08 Dec 2023

Similar foot issues for me, and after buying several brands over the years, I've found Scarpa work the best for me (Charmoz for general winter stuff, Phantom for proper climbing).

J72 09 Dec 2023

Second the recommendation of scarpa - no idea if go down to your size (assume so) but have found them easy to keep nice and loose up top for my stubby broad toes/foot but then separately cinch nice and tight to hold my heel.

note I’m more of a snow plodder than a winter climber so this is for walking/very mild graded routes with a relatively flexible crampon 

TobyA 09 Dec 2023

I think I have relatively narrow heels at least compared to almost square front bits of me feet! I've winter climbed lots for over 30 years and used lots of different boots, and I'm starting to wonder if it might not actually be a bit of an advantage. Buy your boots to fit the widest part of your feet - you'll have bags of space in front of your toes but that's good - you won't get cold feet as you'll have loads of wiggle room for toes. You also won't get bruised toes from front pointing or kicking steps because of that room. Someone else already said, Superfeet green insoles have a really deep heel cup that sort of pinches your heel and turns into a much chunkier pad that make walking much comfier. I used to get awful shin splints that just stopped once I got superfeet insoles. The ankle lacing can also really keep your heel in place.

So buy for width, not for length. For example 42s for me in approach shoes or trainers are really loose baggy fit - loads of space infront of my toes and around the heel. 41 generally better. But virtually all my winter boots are 42 and I can wear them all day, rarely worry about cold toes, don't get blisters etc. I've used Sportivas, Scarpas, Dolomite, AKU and probably some others I've forgotten down the year in winter boots. I've found most pretty good following the above rule. Good luck and don't forget comfy width, don't worry about space at the toes - you'll be the happy one with warm non bruised toes!

Welsh Kate 09 Dec 2023

Just an idea, but have you tried any women's boots? They generally come in smaller sizes than men's. I have narrow heels and a wider forefoot and have found Hanwag comfortable, but I have a male friend who bought my women's Scarpa Charmoz off me when, due to changes in foot shape associated with getting older, I needed a larger size. The last pair of boots I bought were actually men's (some Salomons) - it's the fit that's important, not whether the last is based on the average male or female fit.

The only downside with 'women's' footwear is that they sometimes come in naff colours! However, fit and comfort win over colour for me, esp. when it comes to feet!

OP Mike Brogden 18 Dec 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

Hey, thanks, yeah some shops have given me a bunch to try, defo finding the toe box just to narrow for my hobbit feet! 

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hey, yup tried on most brands in womens and mens, if they fit, i wouldnt care about the colour ha 

Just about to order some Hanwag Sirius II, cant find anyone who stocks that model in the lakes so from Netherlands it has to be,. thanks 

In reply to TobyA:

cheers Toby, I defo follow that rule in all other footware, approach shoes etc but for boots, it just dosent work out, i end up blistering big time, not just at the heel, the ball of my foot to. 

Just had a trip to Altberg - custom measurements done, come in at extra wide, they suggested i size up (mainly because the size i needed isnt avail) but the heel is just lose and lifting a lot when walking or stepping....doah!  cheers for the intel 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...