Mythos Sizing Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krumpthuglas 27 Jun 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with La Sportiva Mythos sizing?

I got a pair in size 42, and I'm probably a 44.5 or maybe a 45 in street shoes.

I went small because people said they'd stretch, but I've worn them for maybe a dozen days of climbing now, and they're still really painful. Painful enough that I can't really put full pressure on the end of my toe on a toe hold. And slab climbing's consistently unpleasant.

I'm doing trad mostly so I need them to be pretty comfortable!

So I was wondering whether to go half a size up to 42.5 or a full size to 43. I'm worried that if I get a 43 they might end up stretching loads!

mcawle 27 Jun 2023
In reply to krumpthuglas:

I went down 2 euro sizes (43 street shoe to 41) for Mythos, and they were starting to fit about right before I lost them.

Rock + Run list them in their useful climbing shoe sizing guide (although they don't appear to stock Mythos at the moment), and they also suggest dropping 2 euro sizes for a semi-technical fit, or 1-0.5 for more comfortable fits: https://rockrun.com/blogs/the-flash-rock-run-blog/rock-climbing-shoe-sizing...

I know Rock On at Mile End in London stock Mythos (may be the only UK stockist at the moment?) and they are very helpful even over the phone if you're not London based, so they may also be able to provide guidance.

OP krumpthuglas 27 Jun 2023
In reply to mcawle:

Thank you, that charts really helpful - according to it the 43 is about 1-1.5 sizes down, so is probably just about right!

My other line of thinking that if my current size is really painful, then a half size up would be slightly painful, and a full size would be not painful. And I would like that!

I've heard of Rock On, I may give them visit next time I'm in London if I can wait that long.

BruceM 28 Jun 2023
In reply to krumpthuglas:

I wore Mythos for 20 years.  I have the same street shoe size as you 44.5-45 depending.

You are in the ballpark but sounds like you could be a bit aggressive and could go up 0.5 for a bit more comfort.

I started with 42.5 and wore that pair for years till it wore out.  When I chose it I tried on sizes in stores.  Found a pair that was snug and relatively comfortable in the store - 43.  Then dropped 0.5 from that.

But I bought those in the Dolomiti in Italy, in desperation, because the previous shoes (other brand) I had with me on the trip were so painful I couldn't climb.  The 42.5 stretched out quickly enough for me to climb all day everyday in them for the next few weeks of the trip.

I loved them, and bought a spare in the same size, but when it came to use the new shoe, I found it was way too tight and never became pain free.  I thought perhaps the last had been modified.  But it was probably just manufacturing differences - or my changing feet.  So I ended up going up to a 43, and then for much later pairs I had to go for 43.5 because my aging foot, and Haglunds-like heel problems meant my feet were/are pretty intolerant.

With your pain I think you might need to upsize.  Or maybe it isn't the right shaped shoe for you?

I have now moved to TC Pros (thanks to help from here).  Because my big toe can no longer stand (literally) the flexibility of the Mythos.  But actually, I think the asymmetrical shape of the TC far better suits my foot than my beloved old Mythos.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...