My Fathers Climbing Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Del 23 Dec 2023

Hi,

My dad recently passed away and he has an abundance of gear, Rock climbing, hill walking, ice climbing, and via ferrata equipment.

I used to climb and still have my old gear (can't bear to throw it away or anything) but realistically I know I'm not going to use it.  

My dad was 74 when he died and knowing him he wouldn't have had a major fall on anything, I don't think he had a major fall climbing in the last 20 years lol; but as we don't know the full history of all the equipment we are a little reluctant to sell it on or give it away to anyone in case a piece of it were to fail or something and it comes back on us but I am keen to get people's thoughts on it. 

I really don't want it all to be scrapped and would much rather someone get some sort of use out of it and enjoy it as much as he did.

For example, I thought about cutting the ropes into sections and donating them to a scout group or something to practice their knots etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts and any suggestions on what we can do with it all?

In reply to Del:

I once inherited a load of gear from a passed friend. I use it as bail out gear, or to re equip stances. I feel it gives my pal a good view.

CantClimbTom 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

Some stuff will probably be no good (soft goods) some stuff will be fine (re-stringable hexes, MOACS, Friends?, Rocks? probably most krabs, nut keys, belay device)

Why not post a rough list here and people can advise you (and argue and contradict each other 🤣)

Lankyman 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

I'm leaving my alpenstock to Rheged in my will

Jenny C 23 Dec 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Yes anything textile should be binned, cutting up old ropes for clubs to practice knots on its a great idea.

Krabs and anything else that's all metal will either be fine, or clunky and obviously past it's best. Main issue is that older kit will be heavier, but for bailout krabs or a beginner trying to scrape a track together for single pitch routes that's not a huge concern.

I think here is a very good place to sell as most people appreciate the value/risk of used gear. There are also a number of charities reclaiming old gear to make into accessories and jewellery, if it's past the point of use.

Andrew Lodge 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

I've passed on retired ropes, including some from a club member who had passed away to our local Scout group on the absolute understanding they could not be used for anything off the ground.

They were delighted and used them for knot practice, lashing things together and building rafts. Lots of useful things they can do with them.

Old slings can be used for hanging things up in the garage.

Anything metal will still be fine.

PaulJepson 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

Krabs, wires and hexes will be grand. I'd remove any cordage or dog-bones for your own piece of mind (where are you based? Places like Outside in Hatgersage have a bin for recycling old textile kit). 

If its proper old/ heavy and you're not fussed on selling, try contact your local uni mountaineering club or scout groups and see if they're interested. 

In reply to Del:

Check out Scavenger in Sheffield. They make lovely recycled products from climbing gear - especially good use of old ropes and slings. You could even ask them to make something for you to remember your dad.  There’s also a donation tub in Outside in Hathersage I think, for another company that do the same. 

In reply to Del:

Check out Scavenger in Sheffield. They make lovely recycled products from climbing gear - especially good use of old ropes and slings. You could even ask them to make something for you to remember your dad.  There’s also a donation tub in Outside in Hathersage I think, for another company that do the same. I think La Sportiva recycle shoes (maybe different company) think there is a drop off bin in V12 in Llanberis) 

spenser 23 Dec 2023
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

An old colleague has part of one of my old half ropes for hoisting an old fashioned clothes airer up and down. 

Ropes can get turned into rugs too, or sent off to someone like Scavenger to repurpose into other things (I got given a little zippy pouch made of old rope sheath that holds the cutlery in my campervan for instance), dog toys etc work well too!

OP Del 25 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

Thanks for all the suggestions, im thinking of doing something in memory of my dad with some of it.  I will definitely be taking a look at Scavengers im based in Luton so Sheffield if a bit of a trek for me but ill know more once i have gone through it all and know exactly what there is.

Wicamoi 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

I'm sorry about your dad, and I hope you're managing OK. It wouldn't suit everyone, but you might honour him and hold a little of him in your life and in your traditions if you were to keep a couple of pieces and use them to decorate your Christmas tree each year.

doughobbs 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Del:

Get it all cast into an acrylic table/wall art

Baz P 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> Yes anything textile should be binned, cutting up old ropes for clubs to practice knots on its a great idea.

> Krabs and anything else that's all metal will either be fine, or clunky and obviously past it's best. Main issue is that older kit will be heavier, but for bailout krabs or a beginner trying to scrape a track together for single pitch routes that's not a huge concern.

Bloody hell, I’m more than 74 and I have a rope that’s six weeks old and hardware that I’ve bought in the last 12 months. Could be a Wild Country Revo in there.

Martin Bennett 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Baz P:

My sentiments exactly Baz. 78 me, and just bought new rope and belay device. Replaced the slings on my Phantom qds and replaced Tech Friends with Camalots in the last 2 years. Just ordered a new p.a.s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...