Loading Notifications...

Lightest feasible tent for 3-season in Scotland?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

My Force Ten Helium 100 is showing signs of wear and after some fastpacking-esque activity this weekend, I would be happy to retire it for car camping and perhaps keep it for foul weather. It is advertised as 1.25kg-ish tent and I would be happy to drop some weight of that. 

The primary uses would be light and fast run/hikes, perhaps mountain marathons and some long distance hikes in Scotland and maybe even Europe.

I quite fancy Nordisk Lofoten 2 ULW as it would also double for mountain marathons or activities with someone who doesn't mind getting cozy. However, it sounds totally paper thin (7D) and I am not sure it would withstand some abuse in Scotland when it gets a bit windy and wet, especially higher up. 

So... is Lofoten 2 ULW pushing too much for more regular use rather than just racing? I am aware it's too little to be luxurious, but much better than a hooped bivy. 

If it's pushing too far, then what's a reasonable 1 or 2 person tent? 

Andypeak 19:02 Sun
In reply to PPP:

Do you use walking poles? Tarptent notch is good if you do.

malk 19:30 Sun
In reply to Andypeak:

yeah, i'm thinking of replacing my old and worn phoenix phreeranger (outer+poles~1kg) with a dd 3x3m tarp on my next walking trip- lots of pitching options and attachment points suitable for 3+ seasons and spacious (2+). the superlight version  is <500g

OwenM 20:29 Sun
In reply to PPP:

Have a look at Trekkertent, some of theirs are very light and made for Scottish conditions, whereas Tarptent are made for California. 

DaveHK 20:32 Sun
In reply to OwenM:

> Have a look at Trekkertent, some of theirs are very light and made for Scottish conditions, whereas Tarptent are made for California. 

I've got a Stealth 1.5 and love it but they've stopped production for the time being.

Andypeak 21:54 Sun
In reply to OwenM:

I've had both and thought the Tarptent were much better designed and far more suitable for British conditions despite them being designed in USA

In reply to PPP:

I recently bought the Nordisk Halland 2 LW which I assume is made of the same materials as the Lofoten? Yes it is very thin and light but if you look after it I can't see why it wouldn't last quite well. 

The floor is the bit that causes me the most concern but unless weight saving is essential I will happy carry in the footprint too. Brings the total weight of it to still under 2kg for a reasonably spacious 2 man tent. The buckles are metal and the straps are all robust material and will outlast the rest of the tent.

I have used it twice so far and I am perfectly happy with it.

galpinos 11:42 Mon
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

> I recently bought the Nordisk Halland 2 LW which I assume is made of the same materials as the Lofoten? Yes it is very thin and light but if you look after it I can't see why it wouldn't last quite well.

It's not, the Lofoten ULW has a lighter fly and groundsheet.

> The floor is the bit that causes me the most concern but unless weight saving is essential I will happy carry in the footprint too. Brings the total weight of it to still under 2kg for a reasonably spacious 2 man tent. The buckles are metal and the straps are all robust material and will outlast the rest of the tent.

> I have used it twice so far and I am perfectly happy with it.

In reply to galpinos:

> It's not, the Lofoten ULW has a lighter fly and groundsheet.

Cheers, I should have checked.

That must be very thin, I wouldn't want to go any lighter than mine.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.