How stiff are Scarpa Triolet boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 01 Feb 2019

I think Triolets have been discontinued so there isn't info on the Scarpa website any more.  They don't have a  toe weldt for full clip-ons but since toe-basket adaptors are out there I'm wondering if they are B2 or B3 boots (in a size 46).

The info I can find online emphasises them being a three season Alpine boot from the insulation point of view, but says nothing about limited crampon compatibility. Partly I'd just like to know, but maybe I'd start looking at tech crampons if the boots are stiff enough. Anybody know for sure?

Fiona Reid 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

I have a pair from 4 or 5 years back and they are B2, definitely not B3 as they don't have a toe welt. I bought mine in Europe and discovered when I got home that they were sold in the UK as Manta Pro.

HTH

OP Basemetal 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks Fiona. I just googled a current Manta Pro and it does look like the same boot bar some colouring of the midsole. I've had mine from 2016 and though they work quite well with my old C-M Black Ice crampons, my calves might have an easier time on ice if I move up to a B3 proper. I think I'll rent a pair to find out

leon 1 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Basemetal: If its the ones that Decathlon are currently selling

https://www.scarpa.net/en/triolet-pro.html

then they are pretty much a leather version of the Charmoz. Somewhere between the Manta and a Charmoz in the Scarpa US and EU range. They are a good  B2. boot but definitely not a B3 boot in a size 46 (as mine were) They have a very slightly different last from the Charmoz though. I had a pair of these Triolets but eventually swapped them for Charmoz as they fitted me better and were slightly lighter. 

Post edited at 20:39
OP Basemetal 01 Feb 2019
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks Leon, Yep those are the same as mine. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. When I was trying boots I was told I had Scarpa shaped feet ( I'd fancied a pair of Nepals originally). So maybe it's this last I should try  to find in a B3 - Mont Blancs maybe?.

Fiona Reid 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

Scarpa Cumbre (sadly no longer made) are comfy and warm B3 boots. The Mont Blanc Pro look about the closest thing in the current range. I have small (UK 5 or Euro 38) thus find there's pretty well no difference between B2 and B3 as both are blooming stiff. My B3s are warmer though.

Post edited at 21:46
OP Basemetal 01 Feb 2019

Thanks Fiona,

I'm sure they're out there somewhere... One to keep an eye open for

beardy mike 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

Had mine for 12 odd years now and have climbed WI4+ and seconded scottish tech 7 in them. Never had a problem with stiffness whilst using G14 grivels. Best winter boot I've owned in terms of comfort and all round performance. Might I be able to climb slightly harder in a B3? Maybe? I doubt it though. My only issue has been this year climbing in -12degrees when my feet were damned cold, but then I get Raynauds, so maybe not a good measure. But that said, I think the only way I wouldn't have had cold feet was if I'd had spantiks or Baturas on. Triolets are definitely not discontinued in europe and I'm pretty certain they are not Manta's either asI think they are on a different last.

By contrast I had problems with Cumbres which I found did weird thingsto my big toe cuticle and made my feet go numb for a week...

https://www.scarpa.net/en/triolet-pro.html

Post edited at 22:25
OP Basemetal 01 Feb 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

That's interesting Mike. What size are yours? Mine have a very little flex in the sole but they've been great to climb in so far - up to IV and short (20m) steep ice. I think the ankle flex is designed in and independent of the sole stiffness and I just need to build my calves!

I think I'm trying to figure out whether I'm limited by boots or strength, so maybe hiring a pair of B3 and using my current crampons is the way to find out.

Commiserations on Raynaud's.. you are not alone! I stick hot pack 'tea bags' in my belay mitts.

Post edited at 22:50
 beardy mike 01 Feb 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

Mine are 46 I think. Earlier in the month I was climbing sustained WI4+ doing 40-50m pitches. Mine are the previous model which I think have less ankle flex, but I can't imagine it's THAT much less. As I say I think I will look out for some Batura's or spantiks for when it's really cold - it's bloody miserable when your feet are so cold it takes a 20 minute shower to even start touching it...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...