Holes randomly appearing in tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 21 Jun 2023

Bit of a weird one but has anyone ever hand an issue with holes randomly appearing in a tent?

Brought a big Angus gold camp ul3 last week, pitched it up and the next morning woke up to see some small holes in the tent. 

Now I just put this down to being unlucky and that I may have inadvertently damaged it putting it up and not noticed, although I was surprised at the time as it was pretty noticable with light shining through

Anyway, I contacted the retailer and explained that I've put a whole in my tent and could they send any patches. They asked me photos and when I got the tent out to take them I've found another 2 holes 30cm away from the first one that I'm 100% sure weren't there when I packed it away (I was also very careful packing it away) 

TobyA 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Are they down at the base of the flysheet? They look like wear damage to me. Maybe a stone on the ground or a thistle so something? 

OP Danbow73 21 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

No, 1 is at eye level as you are sitting and the others about 30cm above

Dan Arkle 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Pic 2 shows a round imprint. 

This is from the end of your tent poles.

At some point, almost certainly during transit, a flap of flysheet has got caught between the end of the pole and something hard.

Solutions - pack poles separately. Or pad them. 

OP Danbow73 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I'd agree but the only time the poles were in the tent was when it arrived from the shop. I kept them separate. (Tent is 1 week old). They were also rolled inside so not sure that would happen 

Jamie Hageman 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Sorry I can't help, but during Glastonbury in 1997 and 1998, I noticed many tiny holes appearing in my tent groundsheet - little burn marks that had melted through.  I have no idea how they got there.  They produced tiny fountains during heavy rain which was very funny.

FactorXXX 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Midges are apparently bad this year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65939262

VictorM 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Pic 2 shows a round imprint. 

> This is from the end of your tent poles.

> At some point, almost certainly during transit, a flap of flysheet has got caught between the end of the pole and something hard.

> Solutions - pack poles separately. Or pad them. 

Indeed, I'd agree with this. @OP: are you absolutely sure they weren't there to begin with? Maybe the tent got damaged during transport from factory to warehouse. 

nniff 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

A dab of seamgrip  will fix them

CantClimbTom 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

they are so small a single drop of superglue on each hole would probably stop any growth (but would make them more visible).

The left pic really looks like peg damage and the second one looks like pole damage, whilst in the bag, really can't think of any other explanation...

Garethza 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

I have had ants eat at a groundsheet before, but that looks very much just like wear and tear type damage - its not called ultra light for no reason!

ivanwindrush 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Annoying indeed on a new tent.

But if needed can be repaired gaffa tape or spinnaker repair tape if a philosophical approach is required.

Once burnt a hole in a friends ground sheet with over zelous use of mosquito coils. The tent recovered quicker than the owner.

pasbury 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> Sorry I can't help, but during Glastonbury in 1997 and 1998, I noticed many tiny holes appearing in my tent groundsheet - little burn marks that had melted through.  I have no idea how they got there.  They produced tiny fountains during heavy rain which was very funny.

Ah yes the old blimp burns.

OP Danbow73 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Thanks to everyone for their input, just an update. 

Although I thought it unlikely I decided it was possible that I had damaged the tent so patched the 3 existing holes, carefully packed the tent (with no poles or pegs any where near it) and took it camping in the mountains. I even used a different bag Incase that was a problem

On pitching it I found 11 further holes in addition to the 3 original that I found originally.

There must be something on the tent causing the damage but I just have no ideas what...

LastBoyScout 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

> I'd agree but the only time the poles were in the tent was when it arrived from the shop. I kept them separate. (Tent is 1 week old). They were also rolled inside so not sure that would happen 

Our big family tent has a bunch of semi-circular holes in the bag and the pole bag caused by the pole ferrules - it had obviously been dropped on end in the box a few times somewhere between the factory and our house. But that's a much bigger and heavier tent than yours.

Having lost a tent to mouse damage in the past, is there any chance you've got pets or pests getting at it in storage?

Post edited at 13:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...