General/ light walking shoe recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021

I'm seeking suggestions for a lighter weight shoe that works for both everyday pavement pounding and shorter walks on rough  ground. It doesn't need to be particularly technical but a decently grippy sole and good support against ankle-turning etc. would be good - I supinate a fair bit. Would need to be well padded for my less than perfect joints, and I am struggling with Achilles heel tendinosis so I want to avoid anything with a fairly aggressive heel cup. I need a wider fit too.  Some water resistance would be good, but Gore-Tex isn't essential.

The shoes I'm using for this purpose at the moment are Merrells - model unknown but they're ones with a neoprene cuff. They're okay but they have a fair amount of mesh in the upper so no water resistance.

If anyone has any suggestions I'll be very happy to hear them. 

Thanks, Bob

Offwidth 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Try some Hoka shoes.... a favourite of long distance walkers who prefer a cboice of width fit option with a slight raise.

OP Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks - interesting brand that I've not noticed before. They do appeal in terms of lightness and comfort but I suspect they might not last too well, and I'm not sure that the stylings are as low-key as I'd like for street use!

Offwidth 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

If they didn't last well the long distance walkers I know wouldn't be recommending them.. My partner's previous pair did the TGO challenge, the Pennine Way, numerous other long day walks and climbing approaches and only have some damage to the mesh above the base of the toes.

As for colour, the new pair are a pretty 'non shouty' uniform pastel blue.

wbo2 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:  Shame about the high ankles - I have some dark green Arcteryx Norvan doing this job for me. 

I have several pairs Hoka's... most last well, some, famously Challengers do not.  But online reviews are helpful here.

To be blunt - you say you supinate a lot? You're not getting mixed up with overpronation?  It's not exactly common, but has an impact on your choices.

didntcomelast 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp: I have a pair of Scarpa Mojitos which Ive had for several years with little sign of wear  used them for pavement pounding and some light trail walking and they’ve been fantastic. Use Superfeet insoles in them. I also have a pair of Hoka trail shoes and they are ridiculously comfortable though they are rather bulky to wear around town  

cragtyke 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Have a look at dachstein skyline or LC's for the goretex version, very comfortable with a vibram sole.

OP Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Thanks- I looked at some Hoka reviews and they seemed very mixed on the subject of wear. I’m pretty sure it’s supination-  I get significant wear on the outside edges of all my shoes and I’m prone to twisted ankles. 

OP Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021
In reply to didntcomelast:

How narrow are the Mojitos? I thought they were a possibility but a lot of reviews said they weren’t so good for wider feet.

OP Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

I’m sure you’re right about Hokas for long-distance off road walking but there’s a difference between off-road and road wear and tear isn’t there? 

OP Bob Kemp 20 Jun 2021
In reply to cragtyke 

Thanks- I’d noticed one or two Dachstein shoes when I was looking at reviews - I didn’t realise they made them. I’ll have a look. 

wbo2 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:  Mojito's are narrow.  I have a pair, I wouldn't use them  for anything offroad much though they are pretty-

Pina 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Have a look at the inov8 roclites. They come in a variety of models ranging from a lighter mesh model to heavier one with ankle support and gtx. Fit my wide feet well and can be used for trail running and walking

Kryank 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

+ 1 for Hoka, I use speedgoats for summer hiking and they are great, dry really quick, have good grip and the cushioning is great for my knees. 

OP Bob Kemp 21 Jun 2021

Has anyone got any experience of these TNF shoes?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/shoes-and-boots/hiking-shoes/the-nor...

"We really like this model for its versatility. It is a solid hiking shoe, can double as an everyday around-town shoe, gives good enough support to work outside in, and comes at a reasonable price so you don't feel as bad when after all of that use and abuse you need to retire them." 

- which looks on the face of it to fit my requirements pretty well. But this review says nothing about the fit, and I'm a bit wary of the high heel tab. 

damowilk 21 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

If your foot shape is compatible with Scarpa, have a look at the Zen pros. I’ve had my longest standing model loyalty to them, for general street wear use, and forays off road if needed. I find them a real effort to try and kill off completely! I’m onto pair 3 over about 15 years, and pair 2 is still in use for cycle commuting. 

didntcomelast 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Sorry didn’t see you reply/question. I think I have narrow feet which is why they are perhaps such a good fit. Like any shoe though, they need to be tried on as everyone has a different view on fit and comfort.  The main thing I rave about my Mojitos though is the longevity, I’ve walked blooming miles in them. Their first outing was to the east side of the USA visiting Washington, Boston and New York. That was a month of serious pavement bashing and since then they’ve been to Canada and London as my go to urban walking shoe. They have hardly worn at all and the uppers still look reasonable for their age. I have heel spurs and tend to rub away the back on shoes and boots very quickly, 6months with some 5/10 tennies, these Mojitos nothing no sign of wear. Can’t rate them highly enough.

OP Bob Kemp 22 Jun 2021
In reply to didntcomelast and damowilk: 

I’m now sold on the idea of Scarpa’s shoes but they will have to wait until I can find a stockist locally and  try them on. Thanks anyway. 

Toerag 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I'm seeking suggestions for a lighter weight shoe that works for both everyday pavement pounding and shorter walks on rough  ground. It doesn't need to be particularly technical but a decently grippy sole and good support against ankle-turning etc. would be good - I supinate a fair bit. Would need to be well padded for my less than perfect joints, and I am struggling with Achilles heel tendinosis so I want to avoid anything with a fairly aggressive heel cup. I need a wider fit too.  Some water resistance would be good, but Gore-Tex isn't essential.

Brasher 'Country roamer' shoe. Very well padded in the sole, chunky sole, non-pointy toe.  Feel clumpy if you're used to wearing snug approach shoes with thin soles, but lots better for daily wear. Got mine in a Millets sale.

OP Bob Kemp 30 Jun 2021

An update: First, thanks for all the suggestions above. They were very useful both in suggesting brands and models of shoes and in making me refine my requirements. 
I tried a number of pairs, including some of those suggested. I ended up buying a pair of The North Face Futurelights. They ticked most of my boxes and were the best fit. The fact that they were available at a relatively reasonable price was also a factor! I used the balance from my budget on a pair of insoles that were recommended for Achilles tendinopathies and I’m very pleased with the result. They have a waterproof liner and are a bit on the warm side but that’s my only complaint so far. 

Thanks again,

Bob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...