Fabric for making a bivi bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey,

I’m looking to purchase the sort fabric Rab use to make the Survial Zone or Alpkit use to  make the hunka to make a double bivi bag.

I’ve looked though both Point North and Pennine Outdoor but am still none the wiser at what the best fabric is. Im after something lightish, waterproofish, breathableish and not black. It doesn’t need to be particularly durable. 

Could anyone more familiar with these sort of things please make a recommendation.

Thank you

Tom

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Both PO & PN do ~70gsm PU coated fabrics. The PN spec is 1500mm HH: not very high for a bivvy bag, which inevitably gets high pressure spots as you struggle around in it... PU can be taped.

PN also have some silicone coated lightweight fabric, only 900mm HH, and cannot be tape sealed; would need something like Seam Grip goop to seal the seams. Careful arrangement of the seam can help water run off (i.e. make sure the outer seam fold points down, such as in a lap fell seam).

A heavier fabric may be better for the base, for HH and puncture resistance.

There are other vendors on ebay, often selling remnant fabrics. I recall using someone called fabrics'n'stuff (IIRC) some years ago 

Post edited at 23:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...