Deflated (sleeping mat)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 10 Sep 2023

Spent a night this week sleeping basically on the ground as my sleeping mat was either punctured or had a faulty valve. I got more kip than you might think because it was warm but still woke every ten minutes or so to change position. Looking at it it looks generally quite worn so I'm in the market for a new one. The old one was a Berghaus Ultra-Lightweight Peak Compact Self-Inflating Mat. Any suggestions or recommendations ?Ta.

bouldery bits 10 Sep 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

All the thermarest ones are decent and the customer service is mega if anything goes wrong. 

TobyA 10 Sep 2023

It depends on what you want if for. If you want as light as it gets and money is no object, then this: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_bags/therm-a-rest_hyperion... is still going fine after 4 years.

It's now over 8 years that I've had this Sea to Summit one https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_mats/sea_to_summit_ultrali... - I've just  used it for another week in Italy. It's a bit heavier and bulkier than the Uberlite but wider, harder to roll off, and insulated enough to be fine on snow in moderate temperatures.

Other than that I have a 32 year old Thermarest 3/4 length ultralite mat. It's kept working fine for over 32 years with just the occasional puncture fix. What more can you ask for? We had another one that got to about 20 years old when it started to delaminate and bubble. I asked Thermarest if there was a fix, they said unfortunately not but send it to them to see and by return of post they sent my a brand new nearest equivalent - one of the Prolite models. Can't say fairer than that.

If money is an issue, or you don't trust this new-fangled self inflating technology, I have a 25 year old Ridge-Rest. It has an inch long rip in it, but its a Ridge Rest! It doesn't make any difference at all! In the family we also have a newer slightly more fancy Z-Rest. That has no rips in it, but has only had about 15 years of regular use.

In reply to TobyA:

Thanks both. Probably going for a mid range self inflating mat of the thermarest variety. You can't skimp on quality when it comes to a good night's rest but they're pricier than I thought so... I'm going to sleep on it

Dave80 10 Sep 2023

I've recently bought an Alpkit Cloudbase that is very lightweight and uses one of their dry bags as a pump to inflate it. Only used it once so far but it seemed to be comfortable enough. I've also got one of their Dozer heavy duty mats for when I'm at scout camp with the kids which is just like being in a normal bed!

Jenny C 10 Sep 2023

Clean the valve and give it another try, sometimes it's just dirt preventing a proper closure. Then submerge in the bath and look for bubbles - some leaks can be patched very easily.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...