Cotton trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 06 Apr 2020

Hi, 

I'm after something light weight, colourful, has a fly and does not have elasticated ankles.

I have a nice bright green pair from Moon, except the fly is fake, just some stitching, and hence I have nearly wet myself on long routes.

Thanks for any ideas. 

MischaHY 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I suspect E9 is what you're looking for - cotton construction with a proper fly etc. The ankles do have optional elastic closures with a draw cord, but you can just not use them if you prefer a loose ankle. The 'Rondo Story' is a good choice. 

Mark Bull 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Rab Obliques might fit your requirements? 

deepsoup 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I don't know how you'd find them, but I bet there's a little cottage industry of people making things like this at home at the mo.  I can think of a couple of people I vaguely know from the Climbing Works who make their own climbing clothes.

I just had a rather beautiful merino wool beanie arrive in the post from a friend of a friend who works as a kayaking guide and has a sideline knitting them as a hobby.  (It doesn't really earn her any money, but for each one she gets a few quid in profit and donates a few more to the RNLI.) 

She usually has a long ol' waiting list but she's doing almost one a day just now instead of one every week or two - still not as a business really, just a side effect of being stuck in the house.

Mark Stevenson 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I got some bright yellow Adidas Terrex trousers cheap from TKMax last Summer. Great kit, I absolutely love them. Best climbing trousers I've had and I'd pay full price for another pair - which is about the highest praise you'll get from a tight Scotsman like myself.

They've got a good cut, drawcord ankles (easily removed) and a mid-weight ripstop polycotton fabric. The proper zip fly is a major improvement over my multiple pairs of Moon Cypher and Ocun Mania pants. Also I like the fabric much more than that of the various Cypher pants which seem to rip at the slightest sight of a traditional gritstone route.

HTH

RR 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Another go for E9 Rondos etc, they are very comfortable in summer, with a “but”: they wear quite quickly (Fontainebleau down sliding). La Sportiva cotton might be a little less bright but lasts longer is my experience. Not always with fly La Sportiva. I don't know if Verticale is sold, their zippers goes open in both directions which is handy wearing a harness.

Toerag 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Just get some army surplus trousers, or some fake ones.

GrahamD 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Not really much use at the moment but the local market often had this sort of thing, as well as trade stalls at festivals.  Tiny fraction of what you pay for climbing named brands

Andy Johnson 06 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Take your moon trousers to a local garment alteration shop and ask them to add a zipped fly? Got to be cheaper than a new pair of trousers.

OP David Coley 07 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Thanks everyone. I shall hit the on line shops.

In reply to David Coley:

Opps, one last thing. They must have a zip pocket for car keys/money. Thanks

In reply to deepsoup:

Well, I'm more than happy to pay someone to make me a pair of trousers

Mark Stevenson 08 Apr 2020
In reply to David Coley:

> Opps, one last thing. They must have a zip pocket for car keys/money. Thanks

Open front pockets and only a press stud closure on the one rear pocket on the Adidas Terrex trousers. 

In reply to David Coley:

I really like the Simond Rock Man Jean, available from Decathlon. Comfortable and reasonably priced. I have two pairs; both are blue/grey, although there may be other colours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...