Chris Tan death knot condoned by Petzl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tchnorton 07 Feb 2006
Ok, so I'm clearly reposting a thread I started yesterday but gave a rubbish title to. The CTDK is in the Petzl catalogue!

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/frontoffice/static/catalog/sp/EN_SP2006.pdf

I've always found the Petzl catalogue a good source of technical advice. The impression that the techniques have been exhaustively tested during the R&D of their products has always made me err towards following the advice and changin my own methods to suit.

The techniques for tying off coils and tying yourself into the middle of a rope are on page 71. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used these methods before as they are completely different to anything I have come across or been taught. Can anyone think why they might give benefit over the more common techniques (e.g. coils follow by hitching a bight around the live rope and, for the middle, a rethreaded overhand)?

I realise that both techniques are sound and that there are horses for courses etc.

Tom
Chris Tan ver XLIX.01 07 Feb 2006
In reply to tchnorton:

In spite of Petzl's endorsement, my usual disclaimers still apply! < Usual laugh follows>

ps I wonder if they will endores this http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=163164#2326662
 curlymynci 07 Feb 2006
In reply to tchnorton:

Thank you for that instant 21mg download... (!)

Curly
In reply to tchnorton:

I presume that the knot is the larks-foot-yourself into the middle of the rope one?

I was shown this by an alpine guide - he said he liked it as was quick to get people tied in and they couldn't easily untie themselves or fiddle with it.

Alpine may be one thing but not sure I'd want to take a leader fall on it.
 biscuit 07 Feb 2006
In reply to featuresforfeet:
> (In reply to tchnorton)
>
> I presume that the knot is the larks-foot-yourself into the middle of the rope one?
>
> I was shown this by an alpine guide - he said he liked it as was quick to get people tied in and they couldn't easily untie themselves or fiddle with it.
>
> Alpine may be one thing but not sure I'd want to take a leader fall on it.

I'd always used the alpine butterfly. Quick to tie and safe for falling on - so i've been told.
tchnorton 07 Feb 2006
In reply to curlymynci: Whoops sorry - there's me forgetting that not everyone connects through work!
tchnorton 07 Feb 2006
In reply to featuresforfeet: That's the one, larks footed around your belay loop. I guess it shouldn't create any friction between the rope
kentclimber 07 Feb 2006
In reply to tchnorton: I'd never consider tieing in like this for climbing, however the instructions seem to be talking about winter walking. Not done much winter walking but would this involve some different techniques?
tchnorton 08 Feb 2006
In reply to kentclimber: it's a mountaineering section rather than winter walking. It would seem strange to recommend that technique if they thought there were situations were it was unsafe rather than just teach the more common rethreaded overhand which is safe. So I'd trust it.
 JimmAwelon 08 Feb 2006
In reply to tchnorton: I have always liked the Petzl catalogue - it was Petzl who taught me how to clove-hitch into a belay one-handed!!! Lon may Petzl keep stuffing into my copy of Climber (Trade Perrins 2 pages of blither for 2 pages of continental wisdom?).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...