Children’s backpack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
scotthldr 03 Dec 2021

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a children’s backpack for hill walking. My daughter is 9, but quite tall for her age more the height of a 10 yr old(140cm). Was looking at Mammut’s First Trion 18, but it says up to 9yrs, so I doubt if that’ll fit? Also looking at the Dueter Climber 22, which states from 6yrs but no upper age. Unfortunately nowhere near me have these so can’t try before buying,

The backpack needs to have hip and sternum belts, hydration capability, hip pockets preferably and side compression straps and in the region of 18-22 by litres.

Anyone able to advise?

TIA

Toerag 04 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

> The backpack needs to have hip and sternum belts, hydration capability, hip pockets preferably and side compression straps and in the region of 18-22 by litres.

I think bottles are better than bladders for kids, they tend to sip and sip and sip without thinking and get through all their fluids too quick. With bottles they can keep track of their consumption, and it's not like they're endurance racers who don't have time to stop and get a bottle out.

What do Deuter make, they're generally really good at kids' stuff.

Post edited at 21:13
 Jungle_153 05 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

We have the Dueter Climber for our 7 year old (tall 7 - she wears 10-11 year old clothes) and it still fits her well. It's been on some wild camps in the Lakes and is perfect as quite light to start with. So little one can carry her own sleeping bag and waterproofs and few other bits and still a good weight.

We did hunt around to try some on, that's the one that fitted best. I think we went to Outside in Hathersage to try and buy.

Jenny C 05 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr: have you looked at adult womens models? Will give far more lifespan than getting something targeted at children, especially as many models have adjustable back lengths so could effectively grow with her.

Dr.S at work 05 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

Not directly targeted at kids, but an alpkit gourdon 20l might fit the bill? 

cb294 05 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

We have a Deuter pack that my daughters first used in the Alps and then my son carried around Sarek NP for several trips. First of these was 150km, 9 days, at age 9 years.

If Deuter fits, the quality of the children's packs is just as good as that of the adult versions.

CB

scotthldr 05 Dec 2021

Thanks all for the replies and further information. I’ll look into women’s backpacks and I’ll hit the local shops with daughter in tow and see if any fit, but I’m probably more inclined to go with the Dueter.

In reply to scotthldr:

https://rockrun.com/products/dmm-zenith-pack

These things used to be standard prizes at kids climbing competitions. A lot of the YCS kids had one. It's a nice little rucksack.  Maybe too big for a 10 year old, mine's 18 now and I don't remember how small she was when she was ten.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...