Black Diamond z4 - Trigger wires are not replaceable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 10 Jul 2023

I've had unfortunatley had some damage occur to my trigger wires on a z4. 

Now I knew that they weren't user replaceable when I brought them, so I contacted Black diamond to enquire into getting them fixed.

Turns out that black diamond won't repair them, so I'm now in a position where I am throwing away a perfectly servicable cam because of the issue. 

Has anyone got any suggestions to avoid this? 

Post edited at 14:24

Alex Riley 10 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

Can you take a picture that shows the top of the trigger bar? If the cable is just doubled through that bit it should be a fairly straightforward repair. You cut the swage off, replace the wire and add a new swage, it's fiddly but not complicated if you know how.

Post edited at 14:38
 Mowglee 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Feel free to send it my way for safe disposal.

As above - doesn't look any different to normal wires. If you can retain the rigid bits and file/snip the swage off that'll be less bits to replace. It'll be fiddly but possible with the right tools and replacement wire.

Post edited at 22:42
 Luke01 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

I've replaced one of my c4 wires with trimmer line, as suggested in the mtn proj link, and it's worked really well. It took about 15 mins and cost about 20p I guess, lasted a couple of years so far. I'd recommend it. 

TobyA 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Luke01:

> I've replaced one of my c4 wires with trimmer line, as suggested in the mtn proj link, and it's worked really well. It took about 15 mins and cost about 20p I guess, lasted a couple of years so far. I'd recommend it. 

It's a long time ago but I fixed a cam, an HB Quadcam I think it was, with that green plastic coated garden wire and kept using it for years after the fix. Don't know about these models but some sort of bodge is possible with lots of cam models.

Really weird that BD won't fix them though. That's a bit of a bad show.

OP Danbow73 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

It's definitely frustrating. They have offered me a 30% off voucher for a new one but I've emailed back saying although appreciated I don't think that's okay considering the lifetime has only been 1.5 years with moderate use. Apart from the money it just seems wasteful that their advice is to bin it. 

I'll see what they say... 

jkarran 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

> Turns out that black diamond won't repair them, so I'm now in a position where I am throwing away a perfectly servicable cam because of the issue. 

Just fix it. All in for the tools and parts it'll be under £20.

1mm wire rope, copper swages, end cutter and a crimping tool to do it like for like.

Or just bend in some solid wire (~1mm welding wire would work).

jk

Post edited at 15:43
In reply to Danbow73:

Certainly easy to repair it yourself, or ask somebody who is confident & competent to do it for you in return for a small consideration. Donation for cake, or to Mountain Rescue or Climbers Against Cancer would suffice in my case

Alex Riley 11 Jul 2023
In reply to jkarran:

1.5mm 7x7 stainless cable works well. Slightly beefier.

In reply to Danbow73:

> Has anyone got any suggestions to avoid this? 

Too late for that one, but every new cam I buy gets a big gob of epoxy where the wire meets the swage. Prevents this inevitable, predictable, reliable and tiresome failure that all cams seem vulnerable to.

OP Danbow73 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Hi Alex, see attached photos, looks like there is a pin that needs removing? 

Black diamond don't want to help unfortunately (apparently it's been caused by poor placement).

Maybe they expect you not to stick it in cracks? 🤷

Alex Riley 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Should be fine to fix, should be something like the following. Because of the design you probably want the exact diameter of wire for the replacement because it's a tight fit.

1. Cut swages off and remove old wire.

2. Cut new wire to correct length.

3. Feed wire through like it is currently.

4. Add new swages (you need a tool for this, but you can bodge it with a vice or hammer).

5. Check everything works as it should.

Out of interest how much would people pay for a trigger wire repair?

Andypeak 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Looks like that pin is just there to stop the wire pulling through, it shouldn't need removing. 

climberchristy 12 Jul 2023
In reply to Danbow73:

Strimmer cable works just fine. Ive repaired several trigger wires with it and its always lasted well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...