Berghaus Cairngorm 2 tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewwaller 28 Aug 2023

Berghaus Cairngorm 2 , right I loved thos last year, spent 4 lovely weeks in the Alps no bother . Had rain and storms but I liked the way it was designed and the way it held itself together. This year after careful storage over the winter I've taken it back for it's annual trip to the mountains and it's shit itself twice.. Looking online there's an issue with the middle aluminium pole. Whatever the problem is definitely needs addressing. Don't buy one unless it's for one night or until Berghaus sort this out ! Wast of money 

In reply to andrewwaller:

The pre-bent, 'perpendicular arch' style of pole has always puzzled me, since I see no benefit to it, and it is an obvious stress-raising point of weakness. I'd be tempted to replace with a conventional pole. I'm assuming this is where it has failed ...

I have them on my Blacks Octane 3 tunnel (bought very cheaply), but they have survived so far...

Post edited at 17:35

p.s. IIRC, Berghaus licence their branding for tents to Blacks Group (or whatever their ownership is now ). So they're not really Berghaus products; that's why BH will refer you to Blacks (as vendor, too).

Andypeak 28 Aug 2023

I don't think Berghaus actually has anything to do with the tents. I think the name is used under license by JD brands such as Blacks and Go Outdoors. 

OP andrewwaller 29 Aug 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yup , that's the piece that has failed twice now

It does seem to be under huge strain and it's the sleeve part of the pole that is failing , gave off a rather load popping sound yesterday evening. 

J72 29 Aug 2023

Maybe worth emailing Berghaus - even if it’s just their name used - if I was them as much as licensing your brand looks like easy money (if that’s the arrangement here) there are risks and sub-par products selling with your name on are unlikely to be good for your reputation.  That said I doubt it’ll help above, hope the retailer sorts for you.

I have had trouble with cheapo tents bought from Millets/Blacks - hairline cracks in the pole tubes at the joints, causing failure of the joint next to the point of the perpendicular arch. I put it down to poor quality poles rather than a fundamental flaw in the tent geometry - I have a Lightwave tunnel tent with a pointed arch, and it has survived all kinds of weather on the hill these last 3 years.

Note that you might be able to buy a spare pole for your Cairngorm 2 from Lightwave - they stock a huge range of spares for their tents, past and present, and it would be relatively simple to trim one to the correct length - https://www.lightwave.uk.com/shop/tent-poles

OP andrewwaller 30 Aug 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Managed to get a free piece of alloy pole , which I need to cut to size, from go outdoors ( which is where I bought tent ) today. So fair play them ,for that. 👍

Good result. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...