B0 vs. B1 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Echo_Delta21 27 Nov 2023

Hello,

My Quechua hiking boots from circa 2015 are on their last legs and I'm in the market for some new footwear! I hike year-round and live in Yorkshire so regularly hike the fells of the Dales, and more recently the Lakes. I am keen to explore more of the Lakes, start bagging Wainwrights, and organise some trips up to Scotland too!

My question is, what does one use for year-round hiking? I'm not really looking to buy a pair of B0s for summer and B2s for winter use - I am a student and this is expensive! What are your experiences using B1 boots for all-season hiking? The reason for not just sticking to hiking boots is that I am captivated by hiking in the snow as well, and am interested in trying crampons out for the first time. I have had a few sketchy days out in those trusty Decathlon boots which I care not to repeat without a crampon. I was looking at a pair of Salomon Quest 4s in store which fit me beautifully but I wouldn't trust them on snowy trails even with a micro crampon (or am I wrong here?)

To clarify, I don't go climbing, I stick to hiking trails and major routes up fells - a normal day out would be anywhere from 5-15 miles. I have been looking at a few options for B1s that include Scarpa Mescalito TRK Pro GTX (true B1), La Sportiva Trango Tower GTX (read that these are "B1.5") and Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD/HD (again officially B2 but read that it behaves like a B1). Has anyone had any experience with these boots or others from the big name brands? My concern is that I would find a stiffer sole uncomfortable in the summer, but then again I guess you don't know until you try!

Any insight much appreciated!

Ed

CameronDuff14 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Echo_Delta21:

Realistically, you can't get a do-it-all boot for summer and winter. You're going to have to make compromises and either go for a boot that will be hot and heavy in the summer; or one that's a bit sketchy in the winter.

As a fellow broke student, second hand boots are your friend! It's very possible to get a set of B2s and a set of summer boots second hand combined for the price of a fancy new pair.

Alternatively a lot of folk are moving away from boots entirely in summer in favour of trail runners/approach shoes and the like.

Only you will really know what the right balance is to strike for you; go try a bunch on in shops, and keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, and the buy/sell forum on here.

Post edited at 13:47
 ExiledScot 27 Nov 2023

I think we're spoilt now, even what people class as winter boots are that heavy anymore, it's quite manageable to have one set of boots for the year and just a pair of trainers/trail shoes for heading into crags in the summer, summer walks etc..

J72 27 Nov 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

Agree - I still have two pairs but something like the salewa crows I use for winter walking would be absolutely fine in summer on all but the hottest days (and even then, tolerable if a bit sweaty) 

OP Echo_Delta21 28 Nov 2023
In reply to J72:

Comfortable enough on long days? I guess it depends what your feet can handle from person-to-person..

OP Echo_Delta21 28 Nov 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

This is going to sound like a dumb question but I am new to this winter malarkey. If one does say invest in a set of B2s new or used, what about the approach to the hill? Not really a concern if there is snow everywhere? What about when just the tops are snowy?

J72 28 Nov 2023

Yeah they’re fine have done some days out where it was only frozen from say 600m and spent much of the day walking with ‘summer’ conditions underfoot.  Likewise I’ve a pal who uses them year round with no problem.

as with all boots I’d just make sure they fit - probably even more important with ones with less flex that are b-rated - so worth going to a shop.

J72 28 Nov 2023

B2s should be fine for non frozen/snowy ground - lots of the lighter ones are really fine for year round.

Sharp 29 Nov 2023

All the options you're looking at would be fine in winter. It's not unusual to see people winter hill running in trail shoes with spikes and plenty people use heavy duty boots in the height of summer. If you aren't planning to climb in them, then your boots wont limit you.

Don't worry too much about the B grades, particularly B1.5, whatever that is. Unless anything has changed in the last few years, there is no standard they are tested against. Size plays a role as well, a size 4 will feel more rigid than a size 13. Choose based on price, fit and what you will mostly use them for. Stiff boots are surprisingly comfortable now, however from what you've written, a more flexible summer mountaineering boot would be ideal and more than capable of keeping you safe in winter.  Find some B0-1 boots that fit you well and then get crampons that fit them.

If you end up with a slightly bendier boot, then you will need a more flexible crampon for them and accept that you will put them on a little sooner and more often. With stiff winter boots, you have a sharp edge to the sole and heel and a rigid platform to stand on, which means you can kick steps across a patch of neve, descend on your heels or stand on smaller foot holds and feel quite secure. It makes travelling much faster in the mixed conditions you often find in Scotland. In a bendier boot you wont be able to kick steps as well, wont feel secure in cut steps and will be taking your crampons on and off more. 

There are people who would advocate not going winter walking unless you have B2 boots and full crampons. There is some wisdom in that but it's probably a view that's held less now than it used to be. I used B0 boots and bendy crampons to go up tower ridge under powder once. For those conditions on the day, I don't think it made it any harder or less safe. The walk in was nicer and the extra ankle flexibility helped standing on powder covered rocks. Just don't buy bendy boots and then be lazy not putting your spikes on because "it's only a few meters of neve". They wont provide the same level of security as a winter boot without crampons on.

Andypeak 29 Nov 2023

The B system isn't very good. I've got B0 boots that are stiffer than B1s and some of the modern B2 boots flex like trainers. Something like Meindl Bhutan, or Altberg Tethera are not officially rated to take a crampon but are more than stiff enough and would be absolutely fine in both winter and summer.

olddirtydoggy 29 Nov 2023

Heavy, leather B1 boots, something like a Meindl or a Scarpa SL. Last for ages as long as you clean them after use and look after the leather. Or you can go lighter and get less wear out of them.

CameronDuff14 30 Nov 2023

Not a daft question!

It depends really. Most folk just wear their winter boots on the walk in and for the whole day.

On long and particularly snow free approaches it can be more comfortable to stick the boots in the bag and wear a pair of trail runners on the walk in and change when you reach the snow line.

Really just personal preference!

OP Echo_Delta21 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Sharp:

Thank you for your reply Sharp, really useful

OP Echo_Delta21 01 Dec 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

Thank you off to the shops next week

OP Echo_Delta21 04 Dec 2023

Update: Ordered Scarpa Marmolada Pro H-Dry today after trying a bunch of Scarpas and La Sportivas for size in-store (but they didn't have these). Arriving next week. These are a B1 rated boot, so once they've arrived and I decide I like them I will order some walking/C1 crampons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...