Avalanche transceivers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz 14 Nov 2020

Anyone using  the Ortovox 3+ ?

Any comments appreciated....thinking my analogue F1 possibly had it's day

In reply to doz:

Hi,

Ortovox are a little off the pace at the moment, I would recommend looking at one of the mammut units I would say they are the best at the moment.

Be aware there issues with the PIEP's DPS sport, its an older model but was still available and a good price, I think they have taken them of the market, but some shop may still sell them.

cheers

OP doz 14 Nov 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

What are the issues with Ortovox?

In reply to doz:

No issues as such, I think that model is getting old and some of the other brands do better units it terms of search limits and features, I know a few guys who ski with the Ortovox 3+ and I would be happy to use one. But just think new models like the Black diamond/ newer PIEP's and mammut are a bit better.

jon 14 Nov 2020
In reply to doz:

Test the range of your transceivers. I had a number of elderly Ortovox F1 which seemed OK when I turned them. However the range of all of them was drastically reduced - some down to about 7 - 8m. 

OP doz 14 Nov 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks

I'll have another look at the mammut barryvox

walts4 14 Nov 2020
In reply to doz:

> Anyone using  the Ortovox 3+ ?

> Any comments appreciated....thinking my analogue F1 possibly had it's day

Bought one last year to replace my old unit.

The pace seems fine to me as didn’t need a all singing, dancing Mammut model.

Seems intuitive & straightforward  to use When the proverbial hits the fan, but hopefully never have to use It in anger.

JuneBob 15 Nov 2020
In reply to doz:

The mammut barryvox has consistently been the best transceiver for over ten years. I got mine in 2007 and it still performs great. I don't see any point in taking a chance on the others.

In reply to doz:

Hi Doz,

yeh check out the Barryvox it always does well in reviews, and on instructor and guide forums I am on, it all ways comes out as the most recommended. 

That said I got a new transceiver last season, I did a lot of digging and was set on a Barryvox but in the end was offer a very good deal on a black diamond Guide BT, so I went with that, I am very happy with it and like the option to do upgrade via blue tooth rather than having to take/send it some where, and its very easy to use. 

One of the main features of brands with newer models is the search strip the new models tend to be around the 60-70m (on paper this is a little like MPG for cars) where as the Ortovox is 40 (on paper) so quite a big difference, and I would imagine that Ortovox will be looking at adding a newer model or upgrade to match this in the not to distant future.

For the other features you can have all the bells and whistles such as the Barryvox s or a good reliable unit with the basic (just what most people need) features on the Barryvox, same with the BD guide vrs the recon, and obviously budget plays a part.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...