20-30l Technical Pack Reccomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jafn1997 04 Feb 2023

I’m looking for a 25-30l technical pack that has hip pads, rope carry, hydration compatibility, double ice axe holders and pole holders. If there is extra pockets at the front (but not too many) that would be a bonus. Looking to use the pack as a Summer/winter scrambling and climbing/mountaineering pack for quick ascents.

HeMa 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

If you can skip a few requirement, then nearly any mountaineering packbag will suit ya. But If you want them all, then hiking or even skiing specific model might fit ya better.

Kai 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

> I’m looking for a 25-30l technical pack that has hip pads, rope carry, hydration compatibility, double ice axe holders and pole holders. If there is extra pockets at the front (but not too many) that would be a bonus. Looking to use the pack as a Summer/winter scrambling and climbing/mountaineering pack for quick ascents.

I've not found hip pads to be very useful on packs of that size.  Generally, a 25-30 liter pack is not long enough in the torso to put the belt in line with your hips and still have the shoulder straps fit properly.

Most 25 liter packs I've used tend to ride a bit higher on my back, and have a simple strap as a belt, which is adequate for keeping the pack steady, but not ideal for hip-loading heavier loads.

If a padded hipbelt is important, you may want to size up to a 35-40+ liter pack.  

Post edited at 17:46
 Lukasz Kisala 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

It's worth having a look at Simond Alpinism 33 from Decathlon (~£50). It seems to have all the bells and whistles of more expensive packs. Even more when you count a super useful side pocket (allowing you to access the internal compartment from the side - not many backpacks have it). It also come with a helmet carry. It's generally well designed - I also have access to a Mountain Equipment one.. and tend to use this one instead.

In reply to Jafn1997:

I've got an older version of the blue ice warthog which is absolutely amazing. I can't vouch for the newer models but if the build quality and design are anything like as good then you won't go too far wrong.

Oscar Dodd 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

Loving my arcteryx alpha fl30, it's basically a sack with a front pocket. Climbs nicely, I've climbed some hard (for me) trad with it on and tbh barely even noticed it. Pretty waterproof, nice and durable, simple but durable ice axe attachments (but I find it on the small side for winter stuff if I'm taking a rope - a bigger 40-50L bag works better for scottish winter), and you can slip a helmet between the drybag closure and the drawcord closure which is such a nice way to carry a helmet.

The hip belt is pretty minimal, and it doesn't have a hydration sleeve in it or anything, but for a more technical pack, I don't really think thats an issue as waterbottles are normally more convenient for me, and the hipbelt gets out of the way nicely when you are using a harness.

I've liked my osprey mutant too - had it for a few years. Works nicely, can fit a full rack, layers, and a rope in there drama free. Carries loads up to about 12kg well and it can strip down to being quite minimal if you're so inclined. It's a bit big (38l), but if you want to use it for winter stuff, that might work out nicely. I reckon I've used mine for around 100-150 days and it's still looking fresh. 

Exile 05 Feb 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> I've got an older version of the blue ice warthog which is absolutely amazing. I can't vouch for the newer models but if the build quality and design are anything like as good then you won't go too far wrong.

This!!!

olddirtydoggy 05 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

I personally find packs a bit like footwear. My wife has a fantastic 35l Low Alpine pack that gives me terrible back ache. My Montane 30l fits my back perfectly which she hates. Go into a store and try them on loaded, I'm often amazed how they all feel very different.

CantClimbTom 05 Feb 2023
In reply to Jafn1997:

You'll struggle to get all if that in one pack, but the Osprey Mutant range might be ones for you to investigate 

Edit these don't have a padded-hip belt, I have a mutant 22 and I actually like that for a smaller pack as I can adjust the shoulder straps so the waist belt is just above a climbing harness

Post edited at 20:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...