ALPINE ARTICLE 2: Vallee Blanche - Full Moon by Jon Griffith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 03 Feb 2008
"If you want to veer off the beaten track and immerse
yourself in the mountains without too much risk then I
can highly recommend descending the Vallee Blanche
under a full moon. Glaciers under a full moon provide
ample light to climb and ski without any need for a
head torch. Last month was no exception and with a
high full moon arching over the sky, we decided to get
the last lift up the Aiguille du Midi."

Chamonix based alpinist, photographer and
UKClimbing.com gear tester Jon Griffith has fun with
friends and explains how he takes the stunning
photographs accompanying this article.

Read the article:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=820
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Wow, thats the stuff of dreams and ive not even done it... yet. Great article.
 billy.grant 03 Feb 2008
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Well written, great photos and a trip that most people will never do.

I reiterate what I said in the Chamonix Conditions thread; you lucky bastard!

I'm just bitter.
 fimm 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Interesting artice. You've got the same photo twice - not a big problem, but something I'm sure you'll want to sort out.
 jongriffith 04 Feb 2008
In reply to billy.grant: dont worry, by your proifile it sounds like you will be out here soon anyway!
Not sure why the pic is copied twice but am sure it will be resolved
thanks for the comments
jon
 Michael Ryan 04 Feb 2008
In reply to jongriffith:

sorted
 Frank4short 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: Good article & great experience. Done it myself on a number of occasions & would recommend it to anyone. One thing i might suggest instead of hanging out in the heated toilet on the midi until it get's sufficiently dark. What we always did in the past was went to the cosmiques refuge for dinner. Which is not as expensive as you might think.
 billy.grant 04 Feb 2008
In reply to jongriffith: true! if you ever need a belayer or want to employ a young wannabe for admin stuff in the summer then let me know. (i'm desperate for a job over the summer if you know anyone who's got any jobs going that don't involve bars)
 jongriffith 04 Feb 2008
In reply to Frank4short: Hadnt thought of that, its a nice idea. There was a guided group who headed down to the Abri simond bivi hut to have a cheese fondue which I thought was a bit rude to the winter climbers who might be trying to get an early night for a climb the next day....I know I would have been really pissed off if 8 people pitched up until 11pm eating cheese fondue and chatting and laughing when your bed is only a metre or so away!
 jongriffith 04 Feb 2008
In reply to billy.grant: Cant help you on the job am afraid. I did lots of labouring work when I first got out here to fund the photography. Its the best paid work in the Valley for what it is. Beats bar work that's for sure, plus you pick up alot of skills on the way and it tends to be very flexible. There are no shortages of building sites in chamonix!
 John Alcock 05 Feb 2008
In reply to jongriffith:
Twid and I were on the Abri Simond hut and not chuffed about getting no sleep.
 jongriffith 05 Feb 2008
In reply to John Alcock: Yeah i was surprised that a guide would do that...bastard
 sandywilson 08 Feb 2008
In reply to jongriffith:

Fantastic stuff jon, truely fantastic!
 jongriffith 09 Feb 2008
In reply to sandywilson: thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...