Matterhorn Lion ridge by public transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joseph_dyball 20 Jul 2023

Has anyone done Lion ridge without a car? 

Seems like you can take cable cars from Zermatt but I’m unsure if that’s possible or the best way.

Any advice appreciated, thanks. 

In reply to joseph_dyball:

I've never been to the Italian side of the Matterhorn, but I would have thought it would be simpler and cheaper to fly to Turin and then take train/bus to Breuil-Cervinia, rather than go via Switzerland.

Jim blackford 21 Jul 2023

The carrel hut for the lion ridge is closed this summer. Still possible with a longer approach from abruzzi or in a single push from the carpark 

Fellover 21 Jul 2023

I've done the lion ridge from Zermatt in the past. Public transport looked like a nightmare, so we took one cable car up (to Schwarzee?) then walked the rest of the way, then came down the hornli back to Zermatt.

See picture (taken from somewhere near Schwarzee I think) for details of which col to walk over if you go for that option. We got it wrong...

I've also posted about it in more detail on here, you might be able to find it if you search.

Post edited at 09:18

Elizabeth_S 21 Jul 2023

My partner was on the Lion Ridge last week and he didn't have a car - I don't know if ukc has a tag function but I'll forward him this forum! @SCClimb

Kimberley 21 Jul 2023

Do you realise that the Carrel hut is closed this season
https://www.guidedelcervino.com/en/capanna-carrel-en/

Post edited at 10:51
 Adam Long 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Fellover:

> I've done the lion ridge from Zermatt in the past. Public transport looked like a nightmare, so we took one cable car up (to Schwarzee?) then walked the rest of the way, then came down the hornli back to Zermatt.

We did the same, the Lion-Hornli traverse is great way across the mountain. We got a cablecar up from Zermatt to the Italian border, then walked mostly down and across dry pistes to the Abruzzi hut (easy day) followed by another short/ easy day up to the Carrel hut. This gives you a couple of days to acclimatise before the big summit day, which half our party were a bit slow on and ended up stuck in the Solvay hut, where overnight snow turned things into a bit of an epic... it would be a really big day from the Abruzzi hut but not impossible.

SCClimb 21 Jul 2023

I tried the Lion Ridge at the start of this month, so I will probably provide the latest advice - essay incoming!

We were based in Zermatt and took the lifts across which was certainly the easiest (and most expensive??) way to get to Italy. The Swiss have just completed construction on the final gap in the crossing (opened 1st July) so you no longer have to walk down the pistes. We got Swiss half fare passes (CHF120 for 1 month) which are crazy expensive, but pay for themselves if you take 2 lifts or more. This made the lift price for a single to Plan Maison in Italy CHF84. Bare in mind that if you don't do the full Matterhorn traverse, you've got to pay this again to get back - We learnt the hard way!

We left Zermatt at 2pm, PM at 3.30pm and were at the Carrel by 8pm. We soloed the AD- approach which should not be underestimated as it is pokey in places which is why we were quicker than guidebook time. In hindsight we should probably have roped up for 2 short sections. 

As has been mentioned, the Carrel is closed for renovations this summer, however it had been left open prior to the workmen arriving (relief!). I expect this to have changed, or to change imminently, so expect the Carrel hut to be CLOSED. Options for bivying by the hut are extremely limited, though this is what we had planned to do. As you would expect, this side of the mountain is much quieter than normal, though our worry that the fixed gear would be in poor condition as a result was thankfully not true.

As of the start of the month, there was A LOT of snow on the route (plus bad weather) which made the going slow. There is an approximately 200-300m knife edge section of the ridge past pic tyndall which is steep and effectively unprotected due to snow. The approach shoes conditions described in the logs sound much more appealing! 

There is less fixed gear than I was expecting and it is very challenging to route find off fixed gear alone in poor vis, so pick favourable conditions. I can't speak for others, but it took us longer to descend than ascend, so set a turn round time and stick to it. Also the crux is at the top!

Seems entirely reasonable to do the full traverse in good conditions like we had planned. We left food and water at the Schwarzsee lift above Zermatt with the intention to bivi for a second night, before taking the lift down on the third morning. 

Best of luck, hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Post edited at 13:57
 FLT 01 Aug 2023

Since July 1st 2023 the cable car connection Zermatt-Cervinia is in operation. Single fare 156 swiss franks, return 240 CHF...

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Information/Tickets-prices/Price-calcu...

I've done it by staying in the Hornli hut and with an early start traversed round and then up the ridge. Bivvied on the summit and down early the next morning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...