Conditions in the Saastal area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 31 Aug 2023

Any info very gratefully received. Heading out next week. Have been there a lot. But up to date info always the best!

Looking at full range. Rocky ridges eg. Jegigrat, Nadelhorn, aswell as some snow/ice eg. Hohlaubgrat, Weisshorn N ridge. 

No personal knowledge whatsoever but I saw a post today of the top of the Jegihorn in what looked like considerable snow... it was definitely not a month ago!

joe245 01 Sep 2023
In reply to James Gordon:

Similar to the poster above. I saw a video of snow on the approach to the Almagellerhutte!

Hannah V 01 Sep 2023

There was a tonne of snow dumped on sunday/monday this week but the snowline is retreating quite fast after a couple of days with sunshine. Weissmies south ridge was a mix of bare rock and nice snow ledges today, but snow still down to a little below the Almageller hut (approach path mainly free of snow). Forecast for the coming week looks helpful for clearing more of the snow!

Post edited at 19:09
 Badpanda 02 Sep 2023

Spotted this in the passport Q at Geneva. So super helpful, thank you Hannah and all!

Is there any info on the glaciers? Especially above Langflue. Crevassed and with fresh snow?

And – hijacking a little – I don’t suppose anyone has any info about the Bernese Oberland?

Might bump into people this week- forecast looks good🫰

Many many thanks everyone. If there’s anything to report on conditions after we’ve done a route, I’ll post here

PS James, if you like Rocky ridges and you haven’t done it, I’d recommend the Rotgrat on the Weissmies. Makes a great round with the North Ridge. Info at hut or email me

OP James Gordon 02 Sep 2023

Thanks Hannah! Thanks Badpanda (not done the Rotgrat 👍). 

Hannah V 03 Sep 2023

Did the Hohlaubgrat today from the Hohlaub station of the Metro Alpin train, great track and snow conditions 👍 Crux was getting down the loose rubble from the station exit to the glacier!

John Cuthbert 03 Sep 2023

Hi James,

Im gonna be in roughly the same area from Wednesdayish (though I was thinking Zinal initially).

Ive DM'd you.

John Cuthbert

Badpanda 05 Sep 2023

Thanks, Hannah! Really helpful. Love the Hohlaubgrat.

According to the Guardian at the Weissmieshutte the Jegihorn is free of snow.

3 parties on the Lagginhorn traverse today. (Gorgeous) photos showed mixed conditions with some snow but rock looked dry. Getting less snowy and so easier daily. Crampons and (poss touring) ax required.

Guardian said Weissmies normal route is in condition, although steep but advised speaking to Almagellerhutte obvs.

I spotted trails on the Alphubel normal route I think, from the hut terrace

Badpanda 08 Sep 2023

Quick update

Lagginhorn South Arête - crampons needed for approach but little snow on ridge, and some larger patches on normal route. Otherwise bone dry

Am told Weismeis normal route is doable if you get back by 11am - on a warm day.  Steep but not as steep as looks from hut. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...