Chamonix Route Advice - 29th August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beccakatesmith 27 Aug 2023

Hi all,

After some advice for routes in Chamonix, me and my partner are going to be in Chamonix next week and are indecisive about what routes to do (especially taking into account current conditions which aren't good).

Something in the easier/more accessible grades (PD- -> PD+) would be ideal.

Thank you!

Mark Haward 27 Aug 2023
In reply to Beccakatesmith:

It does look as if conditions have deteriorated very rapidly in the last week or two. So I suggest first call in to OHM in Chamonix to check the most up to date information straight from the horses' mouth. 

You may be able to get something in from the Albert Premier, Trient or the Conscrits huts. If you are set on snowy / glacier routes you may be better off heading towards Saas Fee or Saas Grund. If Chamonix has to be your base then perhaps consider some of the scrambly / rock routes around the Midi / Montenvers area or the Aiguille Rouges. Have fun...

Pero 27 Aug 2023

There's a weekly update on Chamonix conditions here:

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/news/chamonix-conditions

It's good advice to visit the guides office and get bang up to date information.

That said, why go to Cham this late in the season? It's asking for trouble, IMO.

greg_may_ 27 Aug 2023

UTMB week, enjoy the insanity   And/or wave at those of us racing. 

Hannah V 27 Aug 2023

Theres a huge dump of snow forecasted for tomorrow so might change conditions quite a bit from what they were earlier this week. Note that the SLF have also today issued an out-of-season avalanche bulletin because of the quantities of snow expected (up to 1m in some areas). This is the situation for Switzerland:

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation.html#avalanched...

Post edited at 19:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...