Chamonix gear hire and BMC luggage insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Badpanda 15 Jul 2023

Oh no. We’ve just got to Cham and the airline’s lost all our luggage.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good place to hire gear? And what you can get, I assume not ropes…

Also, does anyone have any experiences with or top tips on dealing with BMC luggage insurance claims? 

Bizarrely, my bikini ended up in hand luggage, so we’re off to the Lake to swim, sunbathe and weep

Many many thanks for any advice

neilh 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Top tip. Market sure everything is documented.  Your first port of call is with the airline.  Until the airline conceded the luggage has been lost then the BMC will not do anything.  Took 8 months for our claim to be sorted which was because easy jet were very slow.  Most of money come from easy jet.  

you need receipts for everything you have lost.  Fortunately my wife is very good on that. 

It’s not easy. 

HammondR 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Snell hire most hardware, or certainly used to

Good luck

SCClimb 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

This happened to me last week, just sorting with BMC now, expect it to take a couple of months based on previous experience. They cover up to £300 for clothing and toiletries + £350 for hire of sporting equipment. Snell Sports do hire, you can easily find prices on their website and they are quite reasonable. Return items before 2pm for half day and before 10am for full day. The hire desk is downstairs. 

EasyJet took 3.5 days to return my bag, I've heard this can be much longer and is rarely shorter - I.e. if you need something go out and buy it.

Hope it doesn't impact your trip too much and you can get it all sorted!

OP Badpanda 16 Jul 2023

Thanks very much for all advice.They have thank god found the bags, but probably no delivery for 4/5 days.

Off to Snell sports now.

V nerve racking to buy £100s worth of rope, reversos, ice screws, crabs, etc on top of kitting ourselves out at Decathlon. fortunately, there are two of us so we have twice the allowance, in theory.😬

Thankfully, we always travel in our mountaineering, boots🙏

Howard J 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

The airline should reimburse you for essentials but this won't include climbing gear.

mcawle 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Hmm, I don’t have direct experience but I wouldn’t have necessarily thought they’d reimburse you for replacement gear purchases if it’s been found. Hope they do…

OP Badpanda 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda

Many thanks everyone- our nerve failed on hiring / buying £500++ worth of gear. Already a big claim for clothing etc

Will start new thread on Things to Do in Cham without a rope🙄

OP Badpanda 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Many thanks everyone for all the help. In the end we wimped out of spending well over £500 on gear we might not get back. 

Off to look for suggestions for routes in Cham with no rope🫤

OP Badpanda 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Sorry for double posting - dodgy wifi

T M Elson 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Make sure you keep copies of all the form in particular the PIA which proves easyjet lost your bag. Easyjet lost my bag for my while alpine holiday last year but I haven't been able to claim on my bmc insurance because I could never get the PIA form from easyjet despite multiple emails and phone calls.

OP Badpanda 21 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

That’s awful. All your gear! A financial and logistical nightmare I imagine.

Sorry -  what’s a PIA?

T M Elson 22 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Sorry its a PIR form "Passenger Irregularity Report"

OP Badpanda 23 Jul 2023
In reply to T M Elson:

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...