Access to Petit Verte in absence of grand montets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jacob Eagles 07 Jul 2023

I was hoping to access routes around the top of grand montets this August, but understand that the new lift is still no operational. Does anyone know if the peak is accessible during the summer and what the approach / approach times would be like. TIA

mcawle 07 Jul 2023
In reply to Jacob Eagles:

Probably talk to the OHM. I have a vague memory of reading in one of the Chamoniarde condition reports either last year or in 2021 that a team did the Grand Montets ridge (which is accessed via the Petite Aiguille Verte) on the Verte itself, and it was noted that they'd walked up - so it sounds like it can be done, but I also would imagine that this was a very fit and competent team so that wouldn't necessarily mean it's easy.

HammondR 07 Jul 2023
In reply to Jacob Eagles:

Fatmap sum it up pretty well: "This previously very popular summit has now become considerably less so, following the devastating fire, closing the Grands Montets cable car. So now you must access this from the old mid station of the cable car, Lognan, 1975m, in summer. This is rarely done as it is a huge walk to the Col des Grands Montets, where the old cable car used to take you. More commonly this peak is climbed in the winter and spring"

So you have a 1200m slog from Lognan to the start of the route for a climb of little more than 250m

The entire popularity of the Petit Verte was the GM lift. It is attempted almost exclusively in winter and spring now on skis via the Col Rachasses from the Bochard lift.

I might suggest looking for a jollier day out.

TomYoung 07 Jul 2023
In reply to mcawle:

Was talking to a chap in Les Chosalets campsite the other day who'd walked up to do the GM ridge this week, he was gone from the campsite for 3 or 4 days while doing it.

mcawle 07 Jul 2023
In reply to TomYoung:

Hah, whoa! Turns it into a proper expedition... out of my league talent and fitness-wise but a good effort for sure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...