Where to go with short stories?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 28 Feb 2020

One of my hobbies is writing short stories, most are quite short being only a couple of pages and a few up to 20 pages or so. My friends tell me they are good and I should get them published but the few websites Ive looked at seem to have a minimum limit of 30 pages for a short story or a minimum word count which I dont meet.

Is there anything else I should consider? Not really looking to make any money on these just to share, or if possible to submit to a charity for raising money? I dont know if there are any magazines that have a short story section or similar?

Thanks for any thoughts.

hokkyokusei 28 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Self publish on amazon?

Basemetal 28 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Try topic- relevant magazines and weeklies.

OP The Potato 28 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Can you give me any examples please

Basemetal 28 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Depends on the subject/ genre. My Mrs has written for The People's Friend, for example.

Generic list here might help?

https://www.christopherfielden.com/short-story-tips-and-writing-advice/shor...

Bob Kemp 29 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Look at writing competitions - many of these are for short stories of various lengths, including ultra-short (flash fiction). Some of them have serious cash prizes and attract quite well-known writers, but there are many that are suitable for new writers. Some have a fee per entry but some are free. 

Mick Ward 29 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

> Is there anything else I should consider?

Yes.

You describe yourself thus: 'A native of a north wales slate quarrying village Ive spent much of my time on and around the mountains. I like anything to do with the outdoors be it hiking climbing fell running, photography, camping, wild swims.'

An old adage in writing is, "Write what you know about." Another old adage is, "Know your audience."

What do you know about? '...hiking climbing fell running, photography, camping, wild swims.' Are there audiences for these subjects? Yes!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...