What to read now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any recommendations for a good book?

As a disclaimer, I'm no voracious reader but I find myself out of ideas as to what to bury my nose this time.

Last three books were The Body (Bryson), The Great Shark Hunt (Thompson) - some chapters were works of startling genius but the bulk of the book was actually pretty dry, for me at least. And lastly The Fear Bubble (Ant Middleton) - too melodramatic, I quickly lost interest.

Any ideas?

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I've recently read two books by The Secret Footballer. Now I'm into my football but I'm not sure you'd have to be to enjoy them.

The stories are... interesting! and probably what you'd expect. He's unapologetic in the main but he goes to great length to explain the whys and the wherefores of life as a newly rich young man. And the pitfalls, to which he's succumbed to many.

He actually sounds like a pretty bright bloke and not like the stereotype of a typical footballer (though he readily admits that he's an exception). By all accounts he is the author and none of his books or articles are ghost written. 

Post edited at 21:53
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

They sound intriguing, thanks! Which one of the five would you recommend for a football ignoramus?

Pbob 09 Aug 2020

Sapiens (cliche but very good)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (no matter how many times you've already read it)

Good Omens (better than the TV adaptation)

The Martian (good honest survival story)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (odd but thought provoking) actually theres a good audiobook version - sounds better in an american accent than my interior voice

Morty 09 Aug 2020

So, I searched "body", "shark" and "fear" and your next book is...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hark-Shark-Learning-Library-Hardcover/dp/037587073...

You are welcome!

I searched in the bar - I didn't search far. 

I looked for something funny - that cost little money. 

I sought an inscription of interesting non-fiction.

I ... oh, I give up.

> They sound intriguing, thanks! Which one of the five would you recommend for a football ignoramus?

I've only read What Goes on Tour and What The Physio Saw. Not sure where they come in order (they were the two titles available on our local library's digital platform/app).

Neither are football heavy as such so the references aren't crucial. He swears a bit but if you've read H. S. Thompson I suspect you're not a maiden aunt! 😂 

In reply to Pbob:

Interested. Read. Read. Seen. Interested.

Herdwickmatt 09 Aug 2020

Europe by Geert Mak it’s a history ofEurope from 1900 to 2000 but is also part travelogue. It’s a bit of a beast but I’m on my second reading a just want to keep reading

Jon Stewart 09 Aug 2020

This is great:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/343.Perfume

I love Dan Rhodes, this was the first one I read that got me hooked:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/147120.Timoleon_Vieta_Come_Home

(People I gave this to either loved it, or were deeply upset by it).

This is a corker:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4701.A_Spot_of_Bother

Magnus Mills is a dude as well, but some of his are just strange. This was my favourite:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/325598.All_Quiet_on_the_Orient_Express

All these are fun, easy to read, and except the first, very amusing in an offbeat, subtle way. Also, if you haven't read any Ian McKewan, you probably should.

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

This looks to be a good read. Judging from the reviews, it sounds as though it could be upsetting in places? There's a place for this kind of thing but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for in my downtime - when I'm emotionally recharging. Call me a wuss.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Cheers!

Herdwickmatt 09 Aug 2020

It’s funny you should say that I’ve just got to 1943 and put it down because there are only so many genocides you can read about before needing a break. It is really really good though, very interesting and great at setting the context for modern Europe!

Herdwickmatt 10 Aug 2020

I’d also say Robert Macfarlanes Underworld is well worth your time. I find some of his stuff a little over the top with the words, but Underland is superb. 

Magnus Torgay The Runner is really interesting and not quite like any other running literature. 

ClimberEd 10 Aug 2020

The Sugar Barons is my current recommendation to people who ask.

History of British interests in sugar in the Caribbean. Manages to bring in trade, slavery, politics, wars and even the start of US independence. V interesting, v educational. Particularly relevant at the moment with black lives matter. 

EricaR 10 Aug 2020

I rarely read book..But I'm interested in "Thinner" (by Stephen King) horror fiction I recently read.. I hope it will be really interesting for you .. It's all about a curse made by older Gypsy man against reputed, arrogant lawyer to be thinner..

Robert mcfarlane lead me to Roger deakin, waterlogged is a really good read. 

There's a wealth of excellent sounding suggestions above. I can only read one at a time and will start with Sapiens.

Damn, I was about to foist another lot on you. Happy reading 

In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Keep 'em coming - It's unlikely I'm the only one on here who's been taught to read!

Almost finished reading 'into the silence' thorough telling of the story of the early everest expeditions. Really put the story into context, war, class, imperialism and race. Gripping at times, occasionally hard work with cast of many but would recommend.

Lighter note 'penguins stopped play' even if you have no interest in cricket a funny, touching and eccentric odyssey.

Have recommended Fergus Fleming's books on exploration so many times I may create a document and cut and paste, wonderful books.

Up next is 'no picnic on Mount Kenya, then Brazilian adventure and passage to juneau. Can't wait 

ohsmeg 04 Sep 2020

Agree with Pbob re Hitchhiker, Good Omens and Zen. Haven’t read his other suggestions so can’t comment on them. 

As for other recommendations- where to start? Three that I’d 
strongly recommend are:

Lucky Jim (film was okay but book is way better. In my mind, Jim Dixon neither looks nor sounds like Ian Carmichael).

Also Fain the Sorcerer - if you can get hold of a copy. They’re like hen’s teeth. Author is Steve Aylett. (No it isn’t another Harry Potter, in case you wondered.)

The Egyptologists (joint authors Kingsley Amis and Robert Conquest).

All three still make me laugh - and make me think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...