Watchmen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 21 Oct 2019

I'm not a superhero fan and have never read the Watchmen comics or seen the film but I gave the opening episode of the HBO series a try because it's a David Lindelof  ("The Leftovers") creation. Very impressed and the presence of Regina King did nothing to detract from my enjoyment.

Post edited at 09:57
 C4T 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Watchmen is a graphic novel rather than a series of comics, I highly recommend it! I'm looking forward to seeing the HBO series.

OP Tom Valentine 21 Oct 2019
In reply to C4T:

Yes, my mistake.

Andy Clarke 21 Oct 2019
In reply to C4T:

It was originally published as a series of 12 monthly  comics - shows what great art can come out of a medium so often dismissed in the past.

Blue Straggler 21 Oct 2019

Mr Lindelof's name is not David, it is Damon. 

Glad to see this as I didn't realise it was on. Used to get weekly emails from Sky saying what was on but these seem to have stopped. Anyone else with Sky noticed the same thing? 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

No end to this it seems. I edited his surname spelling already.

Blue Straggler 21 Oct 2019

> No end to this it seems. I edited his surname spelling already.

I can beat that, I deleted an entire post of mine on this thread. Albeit not for the sake of spelling mistakes. 

That's a pity.

nathan79 21 Oct 2019

One of these projects I heard of and thought "why the need?". I read the graphic novel and watched the quite enjoyable film but this doesn't tempt me if it's just a re-imagining with some different characters thrown in.

SuperstarDJ 22 Oct 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Apparently they've moved it forward 30 years and extrapolated from the original.  The reviews I've seen sound very promising.  I wasn't at all keen but will give it a go now.

OP Tom Valentine 22 Oct 2019
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

I watched it knowing next to nothing about the original and it still worked well as a free standing production,  whereas for instance watching El Camino without having seen Breaking Bad proved  a bit confusing because it's more of a straight up sequel but built around a load of flashbacks, to the point where I began to wonder if they were just using up a bunch of old out-takes.

Stichtplate 22 Oct 2019

A baker in an S&M nun's habit is a big step down from The Comedian and Dr Manhattan. Thought it was a bit pants but I'll give it a spin next week in case it's a slow burner.

Watched it last night and I honestly think the first episode might be better if you know nothing of the story. I spent a part of the time wondering what this had to do with Watchmen. Having said that it feels like it is a quality production so I expect to be drawn into it.

In reply to nathan79:

> One of these projects I heard of and thought "why the need?". I read the graphic novel and watched the quite enjoyable film but this doesn't tempt me if it's just a re-imagining with some different characters thrown in.

It would appear to be an entirely new story

C4T 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

That sounds a lot more manageable than the bulky version I have!

Johnlenham 24 Oct 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

There is a huge amount of nods to the original especially as nearly everything in this is a direct result of the actions at the end of Watchmen ,but I can also see how you could watch it with no knowledge of Watchmen. 

At worst id suggest people watched the film but the book is obv a much better choice 

Arms Cliff 24 Oct 2019

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Quite a few people it would seem  

OP Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Arms Cliff:

They speak of little else in my town, so the ( probably apocryphal) story goes.

Post edited at 17:00
 Flinticus 30 Oct 2019
In reply to C4T:

Tell that to the young me who bought all 12 issues of the original comic

Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I think that topic has been put to bed already 

Flinticus 30 Oct 2019

Saw that later as I read on down the thread.

Stichtplate 06 Nov 2019

Despite early reservations I'm 3 episodes in and increasingly liking this, largely due to the presence of the batshit crazy Ozymandias and the steely agent Jane Crawford. Not sure where this is going but good production values and a nice line in cynicism leavened with black humour.

In reply to Stichtplate:

It's been a slow burner, but intriguing,  and it's starting to tie into the original a bit more now. 

OP Tom Valentine 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Confused now - do you mean Agent Blake?

Btw HBO have produced an interesting online resource called Peteypedia. which attempts to provide a bit of background.

Post edited at 08:40
 Stichtplate 07 Nov 2019

> Confused now - do you mean Agent Blake?

You’re right. Blake not Crawford!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...