The wrong speed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 23 Jan 2018

Odd this but i recently got the vinyl album 'Third' by Portishead.

Label says to play at 45rpm but its better  (to me) at 33rpm.

Anyone else do this, whether with this album or another?

Jim Lancs 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, I play everything by U2 at 78rpm as it gets it over quicker.

malky_c 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

No, but lots of people put the results up on YouTube. Sunbather by Deafheaven is a particular favourite - turns an ambient black metal album into a sort of doomy sludge.

I'm pretty sure someone put up a version of Earth 2 at 33rpm as well, although how you'd tell I don't know.

doz generale 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Jolene by Dolly Parton played at 33 rpm when it should be 45 is amazing. Look it up on youtube

graeme jackson 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I got the new Deep Purple album last year and (justifiably IMO) span it at 33rpm. Gillan sounded like a grizzled old Bluesman but the music had no life.  A bit of research on amazon reviews suggested it was supposed to be a 45!.  Music sounded livelier but gillan started to screech a bit. maybe they should do an alternate mix.

JLS 23 Jan 2018
In reply to doz generale:

>"Jolene by Dolly Parton played at 33 rpm"

It's impressive how steady her voice is. I'd sort of imagined her normal high pitch squeakiness would be hiding a number of flaws.

ianstevens 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Even quicker to just throw it in the bin.

toad 23 Jan 2018
In reply to doz generale:

> Jolene by Dolly Parton played at 33 rpm when it should be 45 is amazing. Look it up on youtube

Nah. That’s the Sisters of Mercy version

Jon Greengrass 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Stairway to Heaven -33rpm

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Stairway to Heaven -33rpm

So are you saying it's better at the correct speed or better not played. Not clear if that dash is punctuation or a minus symbol. 

OP Flinticus 23 Jan 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Played backwards for Satan's shopping list

Doug Kerr 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

> Odd this but i recently got the vinyl album 'Third' by Portishead.

> Label says to play at 45rpm but its better  (to me) at 33rpm.

> Anyone else do this, whether with this album or another?

A well named album as it's 33 and a third RPM to be precise!

Playing singles at 78 used to be entertaining for a few minutes especially the 'Laughing Gnome'

Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

When I was a kid I did this mistakenly and innocently on 12" singles as I thought big records are meant to played at 33rpm. 
It only took two days to annoy my older sister into beating sense in to me after playing her Pet Shop Boys "It's A Sin" extended 12" version repeatedly at 33rpm and declaring that it was really clever what they di with making it all darker and more scary and with a Castle Grayskull voice on it

Hooo 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I used to buy techno white labels from the demo bin at my local record shop, with no info on artist, label or anything. There were a couple that I never could work out what speed they were supposed to be played at. 45 would be the default, but it didn't sound like any known music style.

In reply to Hooo:

Did you inadvertently invent gabba? 

Hooo 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

A friend who'd recently got into dance music bought an album by a cool artist of the day, I forget which one now. The gatefold sleeve had three 12" enclosed, so she treated it as an album and played it at 33. She got really into it and played it regularly. One day her cool mate came round, who was supposedly well versed in current music. My friend gets out her cool album and plays it. Cool mate checks the cover, nods along and remarks on my friends good taste. Months later my friend hears cool album played at the correct speed and asks what it is. "But I've got his album, and it doesn't sound anything like this" she says. Eventually it dawns on her what's happened. 

Hooo 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

Not me, but sometimes I wonder if that's how happy hardcore was invented.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...