"The Haunter In The Dark" Radio 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SNC 18 Oct 2023

If you like a bit of spookiness, occult, ancient evil and mysterious government departments mashed up into a sort of true crime podcast thing ....  then series 4 of "The Lovecraft* Investigations" is now on BBC Sounds R4.

New listeners might want to start at Series 1, of course.

* Footnote: That's H. P. Lovecraft by the way (not the slightly iffy shop at the insalubrious end of the high street).

Bobling 18 Oct 2023
In reply to SNC:

Ooooh, thanks!  As it happens I've been on a bit of a Lovecraft binge recently, well I managed to struggle my way through the 'Mountains of Madness', I'll enjoy this!

OP SNC 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Bobling:

You're welcome.  As I said, if you haven't heard any it is really is best to start at the beginning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06spcbl "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", but it says only one month left to listen to series 1.

Tringa 18 Oct 2023
In reply to SNC:

Thanks SNC. Lovecraft was IMO one of the greats of horror.

Dave

SuperstarDJ 19 Oct 2023
In reply to SNC:

Glad you posted this.  I always mention this when anyone asks for podcast recommendations.  I think it's one of the best things on radio.  Interesting, compelling and definitely creepy.  And with 4 seasons now done, it'll keep you busy for a few hours.

Bobling 19 Oct 2023
In reply to SNC:

Cheers, I've been keeping up to date and just about remember where we got to at the end of the last series - where was it Rendlesham Forest and some sort of gate to another dimension?

OP SNC 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Something like that.  There'll probably be an intro to jog the memory (I haven't listened yet).

In reply to SNC:

This was unexpected- and possible spoilers, for those than can decipher the Lovecraft code …

I thought the last one was the end of the road, as it finished in proper Lovecraftian style-  though I was pleased when it turned out not to have been quite as final an ending as it seemed. I did find this one quite hard to follow, even having heard the others- the interrelationships between the various characters have got rather Byzantine- but it was closer to its namesake story in places than some of the other radio shows have been. It’s definitely more “Dunwich Horror” in the way the protagonists get on than it is like the Lovecraft version of Haunter though. Still, glad it’s back- and given the hints of where one of the characters was, I’ve an inkling of what the next one might be called…

Bobling 21 Oct 2023
In reply to SNC:

Started listening tonight, and then took a break to read Haunter of the Dark in the Bath, followed by a couple of hours playing the Arkham Horror board game with the kids : )  A very Lovecraft day!

wercat 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Bobling:

All you need now is a night researching forbidden texts and writings in down in the stacks of Miskatonic University

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...