The Crown - Netflix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pefa 30 Apr 2020

I can't believe I decided to watch this but I'm even more surprised that I'm very much enjoying it! Of course it coats the various aristos in sugar and leaves out some serious matters that would ruin the character of one or two of them but it also shows them as real people with flaws and a weight of history and tradition lying heavily on their shoulders that gets in the way of normal behaviour. 

John Lithgow is incredible as Churchill in fact the acting all round is very convincing. I especially like the excellently stuffy, tinder dry traditionalist advisor to the monarchs Tommy Lascelles and the woman who plays Princess Margaret but then again Matt Smith is also very good as Phillip. Ive binged watched around 10 episodes so far and feel myself starting to tawk loik the Queen does. It really is a sumptuous production. 

I also previously watched Rebellion on Netflix which was absolutely brilliant and definitely a must watch, it's about the Easter 1916 Irish uprising. Another Netflix one I really enjoyed was The English Game even though a little bit of the acting was too like acting it was a really well made production with a lovely happy ending and interesting if you like a bit of football history. 

felt 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Pefa:

> tawk loik

HM's from rural Devon?

summo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Pefa:

I suspect truth blurs a little to make it good tv, but the characters or actors in the first series are strong, you might be disappointed with their older replacements in the next. 

BusyLizzie 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Pefa:

I loved it! 

Slackboot 01 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Thanks for the heads up . I spend more time wondering what to watch than actually viewing anything. There 's just so much. 'Spy' is really good. I didn't realise that Sacha Baron Cohen was such a good straight actor.

Blue Straggler 01 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

I haven’t seen The Crown but the actress playing Margaret is one of Britain’s most highly regarded theatre actresses, Vanessa Kirby, who is expanding into big movies including Hollywood where she’s perhaps unexpectedly turned up (and been brilliant) in some daft big action capers (Mission Impossible: Fallout which is where I first really noticed her, and the ludicrous but fun Fast and Furious: Hobbes and Shaw!)

She was also in the “ Everest” movie in 2015 but I don’t really remember her in that. She played Sandy Hill Pittman. 

Blue Straggler 01 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Hurrah, a dislike !

ThunderCat 01 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Yeah, for some reason I didn't think I would like, watched a couple of episodes and then ended up pretty much bingeing the entire thing in a couple of weeks.  

Seen a few adverts for The English Game, but not gone for it as I don't have any interest in football at all (but then I have no interest in the royal family either   )

Rebellion...might check it out.  

Iamgregp 01 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Yes it's fantastic isn't it?  I'd never watched any of it and decided to start at the beginning when lockdown happened.  Finished it last week, very much enjoyed it (though there is the odd duff episode here and there where nothing much really happens).

Can't wait for the next series - the Charles and Diana stuff is likely to be interesting...

Series 6 or so with the Prince Andrew stuff will be even better!

Iamgregp 01 May 2020
In reply to summo:

I though Olivia Colman was excellent, but then she's always the best actor in anything she's in IMHO.

I thought Tobias Menzies as the new Phillip not bad at all, Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret was micast for me, she's no doubt a fine actor, but she really didn't make me feel like I was watching anything other than Helena Bonham Carter.

Charles Dance as Mountbatten was great, but I kept thinking that it was a shame he's been cast in that role as he would have made a great Phillip in future series.  Maybe they have someone even better in mind.

Babika 02 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Its ace! I thought my other half would refuse to watch anything to do with Royals but the acting and choice of storyline is so good its addictive.

I like the Prime Minister storylines best - Wilson is fantastic. 

OP Pefa 04 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Well well well I just got to the episode that shows a planned coup in Britain in 1968. A coup by top bankers, intelligence, military and media to overthrow Harold Wilson's Labour government and it is true.

I never knew about that incredible. 

Bob Kemp 04 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Neatly sent up a few years later in 'The Decline and Fall of Reginald Perrin':

youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-9R6NCZ0A&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...