The Creator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 30 Sep 2023

Going to see this at the flicks imminently.

Rogue One is one of my favourite films (and I'm  not particularly in to Star Wars), The Creator has the same Director.

That's pretty much all I know. The trailer looks like it could go either way. Bold concept.

In reply to Offwidth:

I'd say that review (which also reveals the entire plot!) to be spot on. At times I found it to be gawkishly sentimental, verging on a quasi-religious Sunday school type story, which was at odds with the slick visuals and indiscriminate violence (plenty of parallels with modern warfare possibly?). On the whole it was worth seeing. Certainly unique and looked ace. Go and see it if you're at a loose end.

deepsoup 30 Sep 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

> I'd say that review (which also reveals the entire plot!) to be spot on.

Thanks for the spoiler warning, I almost clicked on that link and I'm glad I didn't now.

Offwidth 30 Sep 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

My apologies I had no idea it was such a major spoiler (and if so it makes the film sound trite).

In reply to Offwidth:

I thought it an excellent review, but it does explain much of the story. Ta for posting it!

DizzyVizion 01 Oct 2023

I also really like Rogue One and am not a Star Wars fan. I watched The Creator last Friday and I really enjoyed it 👍 

Duncan Bourne 03 Oct 2023

Just been to see it. I would agree with some of the criticisms re-the plot (let's solve everything with guns). However the visuals are stunning and it is a change to see an original film with strong shades of vietnam and anti-American sentiment and quite positive to the AI's

My one major quibble I had with the film is that when you are sneakily trying to pull off a raid it is probably not a good idea to have really bright white lights on your helmets and suits. It might look nice on film but honestly it just makes you a target

ripper 03 Oct 2023
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

This was one of just many aspects that jarred with me - along with advanced AI entities fighting with very low-tech rifles, apparent complete lack of any kind of 'connectivity' or collective awareness among the AI, a massive orbiting death star that didn't actually seem to be attacking anything (at least, not until it was about to be blown up itself), etc.

For me, an interesting idea let down by a plot with too many ill-thought-through details.

Strife 03 Oct 2023
In reply to ripper:

Yeah it was an enjoyable watch, but the plot was definitely flimsy. Lots of plot-holes, inconsistencies and other things that just generally didn't add up. I know that suspending disbelief is part of watching sci-fi movies, but there is a limit for me.

The biggest issue for me was the ending. I can't see how they think they solved the problem. If anything, its gonna result in some serious escalation of the conflict. There was surely a smarter, more thought-provoking way of resolving things that could have been weaved into the storyline somehow. It's such an interesting topic with so many things to unpack, it really feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I didn't hate it though. The visuals were good and it kept me entertained.

Thunderbird7 03 Oct 2023

Saw it last night. Probably not an oscar winner but a good fun movie and pleased we went to see it

> My one major quibble I had with the film is that when you are sneakily trying to pull off a raid it is probably not a good idea to have really bright white lights on your helmets and suits.

It's so you can see who the characters are. It's always been an issue with all space & sci-fi films where 'futuristic' helmets are worn.

Duncan Bourne 04 Oct 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Except that isn't the reason in this case.

Scene one anonymous  marine types land in the sea and wade onto the beach flashing lights all over the place.

Scene two anonymous soldiers "sneaking" up a hillside in the dark lit up like Christmas trees.

They do have the "Lights-inside-helmets" thing too but this is soldiers with open face helmets and bloody great torches on their heads and equipment lights on their combat suits.

I doesn't help that a bloody great ship beams down lights to let the enemy know theirs a raid on the way.

I still enjoyed the film but this seemed a bit silly

Post edited at 08:30
 GEd_83 06 Oct 2023

Oooh, might go and watch this. I quite like Gareth Edwards as a director, Rogue One was the best star wars movie since the original trilogy, and I also really enjoyed his Godzilla reboot - it was about as good as you can possibly make a Godzilla movie.

Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2023

A massive let-down. I had zero reason to side with the main character who seems to be presented as the protagonist that we should be siding with. I thought the same story told from the viewpoint of any of several of the other characters might have been more interesting. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'd had very very high hopes when I first saw the trailer (out of the blue) even though even the trailer seemed to show too much story and at least give away that there were not really any original ideas there. 
HOWEVER....I still really like it that a studio will invest a sizeable budget into a non-franchise film with no particularly bankable star power. It doesn't happen often. Another example is 2017's A Cure for Wellness ($70 million), which was more bold as it was obvious it wasn't going to put bums on seats (at least The Creator has all that attractive visual spectacle to help sell tickets. Maybe The Matrix is a stronger example (1999, $40 million, B-list cast at best, writer-directors unknown to most....)

Blue Straggler 05 Nov 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I give it 4/10 

wercat 06 Nov 2023

> My one major quibble I had with the film is that when you are sneakily trying to pull off a raid it is probably not a good idea to have really bright white lights on your helmets and suits. It might look nice on film but honestly it just makes you a target

I try not to use a torch outdoors alone whenever possible as I prefer not attract attention

sometimes starlight is enough

Neil Williams 06 Nov 2023

I'd say this was quite a good film, and mercifully just over 2 hours long rather than the current trend for bladder busting 3+ hour films.

d_b 06 Nov 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Another spoilery review from Peter Watts.  Again, he thinks it's very pretty but...

https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=10815

d_b 07 Nov 2023
In reply to wercat:

> I try not to use a torch outdoors alone whenever possible as I prefer not attract attention

I use night vision goggles when I'm walking stocking up the lotion shelves next to the well in my cellar.

wercat 08 Nov 2023
In reply to d_b:

I've just never found confidence in seeing a little bit of light in front of me, at the expense of being very visible, while I can't see the area outside the beam.  Always gives me the creeps.  I feel happier in darkness.

Different of course when walking along a road without a footpath at night!

perhaps my ancestors included poachers

Post edited at 08:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...