Superb afternoon of music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 26 May 2022

Attended a piano trio recital today in Ambleside Parish Church. It was food for the soul. A young ensemble, all in their 20s, and one still an undergraduate at RNCM, played with such apparent joy as well as talent. It was uplifting, even beyond the wonderful music, to  see their teamwork and pleasure in working together to produce something special.The highlight was Schubert’s 2nd trio, a huge 50 minute work which was one of the composer’s last of his own works to hear played just before his tragically young death. To me, Schubert’s works always seem to be based on some trivial, even banal little snatch of tune, which he moulds to a work which will induce a wide range of emotional responses in the listener. One of the great things about the afternoon was being so close to the players, having got seats near the front. Easy to imagine they’re playing just for you.
Incidentally, the ensemble consists of a Japanese pianist and two Lithuanian string players. They were billed as the Jonusas Trio, but  seem to have recently changed their name, which I now forget. 

veteye 26 May 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm chuffed for you, as I know the feeling in that circumstance.

I had a similar thing in Stamford Arts Centre on Saturday night: A brilliant clarinetist filled in when a violinist damaged her hand, so a work by Herbert Howells could not be performed. The clarinetist did a very dynamic, difficult, but engaging solo piece by Manuel de Falla (I think). Then she joined 6 others in Beethoven's Eb Septet, which to me seemed to steal the melody from one of his earlier piano sonata's, in the third movement: But the whole was brilliant.

Again all musicians in their 20's.

OP Rog Wilko 26 May 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Now called Kagura Trio.

veteye 27 May 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Is that the pianist?

The Stamford event is the rather grandly titled Stamford International Music Festival, and is run by Freya Goldmark, a young local. She invites musicians from her cohort at the London music colleges, as well as lecturers from there, such as Clara X (name evades me), the brilliant Venezuelan pianist who is a senior lecturer at the Royal college of music.

Tobes 27 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

yeah, eye herd that won two, was fantastic! ; ) 

OP Rog Wilko 27 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

This is the line up.

Kanako Mizuno – Piano, Pijus Jonusas – Violin, Julius Jonusas – Cello

I think the string players must be brothers, but they don’t look at all like family.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...