Some of the greatest cinematography I’ve seen for a very long time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

This evening I saw Kenneth Branagh’s Haunting in Venice, a superbly crafted movie that would deserve 5 stars if it were something more profound than a quite complex Agatha Christie whodunnit. Branagh himself is on top form, doing a surprisingly restrained Hercule Poirot with an unusually good, slightly OTT ‘French’ accent. But what is absolutely outstanding is the cinematography by Haris Zambarloukos. Frame by frame, shot by shot, a masterpiece of interesting Wellesian compositions and imaginative lighting. In other words, the film is worth seeing for the photography alone.

veteye 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'd heard an arts program say that this was a good film(of its genre), and mention was made of the cinematography.

Thank you for pointing out that it has great worth in at least one form.

Blue Straggler 26 Sep 2023
In reply to veteye:

Matthew Sweet on Sound of Cinema was very dismissive of its screenplay (and by extension, the whole thing OVERALL. He may have praised the cinematography, I don't remember - it wasn't a review as such, just a comment within the context of a programme featuring music from films set in Venice)

Post edited at 10:26
 Blue Straggler 10 Oct 2023

I re-watched a much "less ambitious" little film last night, one of my favourites from 2019 despite the premise/synopsis sounding horribly mawkish and manipulative. Five Feet Apart. The cinematography is very interesting, probably in a different and less "showy" way than in A Haunting in Venice. It's worth a watch for anyone with an interest in cinematography, as well as being highly recommended as an excellent film regardless. It may be on BBC iPlayer at the moment

SNC 15 Oct 2023

Speaking of Venice, we watched "Don't Look Now" on BBC4 the other day.  50 years old, but still gives me the creeps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...