Scottish (mostly winter) Climbing Reading List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xiankiefer 10 Nov 2023

Hi friends:

Here's the reading list generated by the previous thread. I thought it might be useful to share with all. Let me know if other titles come to mind that I've missed.

Best,

Christian Kiefer

+++

Barry, John. Cold Climbs: The Great Snow and Ice Climbs of the British Isles

Borthwick, Alastair. Always a Little Further

Brooker, W.D., Ed. A Century of Scottish Mountaineering: An Anthology from the Scottish Mountaineering Journal, 1888-1988

Brown, Hamish. Hamish’s Mountain Walk

Burns, John D. Bothy Tales

Connor, Jeff. Creagh Dhu Climber

Crockett, Ken & Simon Richardson, Ben Nevis: Britain’s Highest Mountains

Crockett, Ken. Mountaineering in Scotland: The Early Years

Crockett, Ken. Mountaineering in Scotland: Years of Change

Cruickshank, Jimmy. High Endeavors: The Life and Legend of Robin Smith

Dutton, G.J.F. The Ridiculous Mountains

Forbes, Graham. Rock & Roll Mountains

Greig, Andrew. Getting Higher: The Collected Mountain Poems

Ingram, Simon. The Black Ridge

Lines, Julian. Tears of the Dawn

MacInnes, Hamish. Callout

MacInnes, Hamish. The Fox of Glencoe

Mitchell, Iain & Dave Brown, A View from the Ridge

Mitchell, Iain & Dave Brown, Mountain Days and Bothy Nights

Murray, W.H. Mountaineering in Scotland

Murray, W.H. Undiscovered Scotland

Patey, Tom. One Man’s Mountains

Richardson, Simon. Chasing the Ephemeral: 50 Routes for a Successful Scottish Winter

Robertson, Guy. The Great Mountain Crags of Scotland

Shepherd, Nan. The Living Mountain

Strange, Greg. The Cairngorms: 100 Years of Mountaineering

Thompson, Ian. May the Fire Always Be Lit

Wee Davie 10 Nov 2023
In reply to xiankiefer:

One book I haven't seen in your list is Martin Moran's 'Scotland's Winter Mountains.' It was like a bible to me before I did anything technical in the hills. I was constantly taking it out on loan from my local library in the early '90s and I still love it to this day. I was enthralled by the idea of Moran racing Mick Fowler to the FAs of icefalls in the NW. The factual stuff and advice is top notch as well.

Doug 11 Nov 2023
In reply to xiankiefer:

Maybe too recent to be a classic but I would add

Dixon, Mike. One Man’s Legacy: Tom Patey

(see https://scottishmountaineeringpress.com/product/one-mans-legacy-tom-patey/ for more details)

Also from Bill Murray is his autobiography (finished after his death by his wife) 'The Evidence of Things Not Seen',  there's also a biography  published by Robin Lloyd-Jones 'The Sunlit Summit: The Life of W. H. Murray'.

DaveHK 11 Nov 2023
In reply to xiankiefer:

I didn't think much of Rock and Roll Mountains and it got some terrible reviews. I remember one that said something along the lines of 'tedious stand in guitarist rambles on at length.' It certainly doesn't belong in the company of Murray and the likes.

Post edited at 08:40
 65 11 Nov 2023
In reply to Wee Davie:

> One book I haven't seen in your list is Martin Moran's 'Scotland's Winter Mountains.' 

Agreed 100%. His “The Munros in Winter” also belongs on the list.

Siward 11 Nov 2023
In reply to Wee Davie:

Absolutely, probably the best book out there on the subject, and not necessarily confined to that.

OP xiankiefer 12 Nov 2023
In reply to Wee Davie:

This is why I so love this community. We've never even heard of that one in the states!

In reply to Doug:

I love Murray's autobiography and the Sunlit Summit. Have you read the new Tom Patey bio? I'm interest. Shipping to the U.S. is expensive, so I'm planning to pick it up in Feb when I'm in Scotland.

In reply to xiankiefer:

Somehow I also left off the book I'm actually reading and which is superb:

Farquhar, Grant. Crazy Sorrow: The Life and Death of Alan Mullin

abcdef 17 Nov 2023
In reply to xiankiefer:

There is The Edge: One Hundred Years of Scottish Mountaineering by Cameron McNeish. You could just save some time though and watch the episodes of the TV series on Youtube, but the film quality is far from HD.

Did Joe Simpson not write small bits about Scotland - possibly This Game of Ghosts? Seem to remember him describing falling off The Screen in winter.

OP xiankiefer 18 Nov 2023
In reply to abcdef:

I like The Edge a lot. Forgot to include that one. I've not seen the TV episodes but I'll take a look. Joe Simpson--I've not yet read This Game of Ghosts but it seems like he'd have something to say about Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...