SAS who dares wins bridge lower incident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Time for my weekly thread on this

one of the tasks was a bridge lower- to test trust. Work in pairs, number 1 drops off, number 2 at bottom of canyon pulls break rope to stop fall

except one of the pairs didn’t do it right, and number 1 hit the rocks at the bottom. Number 2 was blamed, and shamed, for dropping his partner

but; surely that’s a training issue? The instructors needed to make sure he could do it before putting him in that position 

and, number 1 was on a top rope back up. To me it looked like the instructors dropped him too, but they didn’t say much about that in the aftermath...

Gone for good 27 Jan 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

It's TV. No drama = no viewers. Nobody got hurt so all's well that ends well.

Shani 27 Jan 2019

Yep, the DS f*cked up.

It should have been prevented by one of the following:

- a free abseil,

- a shorter safety rope,

- closer DS supervision at the base, or,

- more practice for the recruits.

Post edited at 22:06
In reply to Shani:

Yes, what I thought

and given the person who dropped his partner has issues with having been bullied at school that clearly still affected him, running an exercise where he was singled out as untrustworthy by his fellow  competitors, then aggressively blaming him for their own errors looked unpleasantly like the DS repeating the role of bully. Not the series’ finest moment.

Jimbob11 27 Jan 2019

All that was provided. I’m aware there was a very experienced MIC behind the development and training of the SAS lads. 

It’s Sunday night TV, something needs to happen and “spice” it up a little for viewers. 

DancingOnRock 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Jimbob11:

Will be interesting to watch it back in slow motion with the sound off.

In reply to Jimbob11:

You suggesting it was staged?

maybe; but if so, the margin between dramatic viewing and a serious incident looked pretty slim...

edit- and even if so, that remains a pretty unpleasant position to put the person held responsible for the cameras in (unless his backstory was a fake too and he was in on it- but he’s a good actor if that’s the case)

Post edited at 22:42
 Jimbob11 27 Jan 2019

Not sure. Only watched a bit of it. Can’t really get into it. Just a lot of shouting. Scenery is lovely though. 

wilkie14c 27 Jan 2019

shock, horror , TV turns out to be a bit shit.

Accept the fact Sunday night will never be last of the summer wine and lovejoy ever again

summo 28 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Accept the fact Sunday night will never be last of the summer wine and lovejoy ever again

All creatures great and small. 

Mark Collins 28 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Accept the fact Sunday night will never be last of the summer wine and lovejoy ever again

Surely Lovejoy was too racy for Sunday night, I remember it as Friday night viewing, I digress

In reply to wilkie14c:

<smiles wistfully>

its ok though, there’s still countryfile and the antiques roadshow...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...