Popmaster today (R2 quiz)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 01 Dec 2021

Did you hear Richard on Popmaster today? When asked the question 'who sang Spellbound, Happy House and Christine' he paused, then replied 'Sushi and the Banshee?'. He was clearly trying to read Siouxsie but mispronouncing it. Ken's reaction is priceless.

Jump to 7m 12s here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b7gy7k 

jezb1 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I always wondered if people cheated on it!

In reply to jezb1:

He's not the first, but he is the most obvious.

Tom Valentine 01 Dec 2021

Definitely sounds a bit fishy.

summo 01 Dec 2021

Think he had device assistance on a few of them. It's that or someone sat next to him scribbling down answers quickly. It's curious as you need the track title for searches to work, if he plays one track of the artist but asks a question of another. 

Think Ken was quite polite really, despite knowing he'd cheated. 

Ridge 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Definitely sounds a bit fishy.

Was there a question on Marillion?

In reply to Ridge:

Yes, I always wondered if they were Yorkshire grit fans.

Tobes 01 Dec 2021

Just listened- what a Dick! (Richard ; ) Yep Ken was very professional- why cheat, honestly (oxymoron) bad enough the guy didn’t know of Siouxsie and the ‘Ban-cheese’ that he had to cheat! 

gethin_allen 01 Dec 2021

I didn't really clock that he was cheating when I first listened but when I listen back there are a few very suspicious answers where his delivery is very odd and totally different to the answers he gets wrong.

Shame he actually came out on top in the end.

In reply to Tobes:

Trying to be charitable, if the answer had involved names like Siobhan or Saoirse I would have hesitated quite a bit before mispronouncing it .......even if I knew the answer 100% and wasn't reading it off a screen or a scribbled note.

Jamie Wakeham 01 Dec 2021

He'd just about hidden it up until that last one - listening with hindsight, there are a few answers where he's totally silent for a few moments and then confidently gives his reply.  And he had the sense not to get the utterly obscure ones, even though he had the time to google them.

Interesting that he didn't win at three in ten.  Would have been very easy.  I think he knew his cover was blown (that or a producer had a bloody stern word whilst the other contestant was playing).

Iamgregp 02 Dec 2021

My daughter is called one of those.  Her mother and I decided a lifetime of mispronunciations and spelling would be character building for her.

Iamgregp 02 Dec 2021

I've never understood people cheating at quizzes.  Surely the fun part is pitting your wits against the questions?

Googling stuff just isn't fun?

Tom Valentine 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm getting better at them since watching the excellent TV drama "Succession " where the bitchy daddy's girl Siobhan  is called "Shiv" by the rest of the family. Elsewhere on screen Saoirse Ronan is often heard telling people that her name rhymes with inertia.

dread-i 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

>... Her mother and I decided a lifetime of mispronunciations and spelling would be character building for her.

As Johnny Cash very nearly sang, in relation to this thread:

But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son of a bitch that named you 'Sioux'.

Iamgregp 02 Dec 2021

I need to watch Succession, literally everyone's talking about it!

To be honest it's a f*cking minefield.  Some Irish names have different pronunciations even within Ireland - for example Saoirse Ronan pronounces it to rhyme with inertia, but it's also pronounced Sear-sha...

Then there's Roh-Sheen or Row-Sheen, Keeva or Qweeva...  There's loads of them... None of which are either wrong or right, but I can guarantee I'll use the wrong one the first time I meet someone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...