Mark Hollis - Talk Talk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bellie 26 Feb 2019

Sad to read last night he had passed away at only 64.  

Even though I knew the popular Talk Talk stuff in the 80's, I had only recently got to listen to their catalogue.  I was amazed by it and couldn't fathom why I hadn't listened to it before now.  

So for me - it wasn't so much a musician from my past, as one from the present even though he has been away from the scene for a good while.

I note that many of the bands who are paying tribute to Mark, are on my music radar, and can see now the influence there.

toad 26 Feb 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Thats a coincidence - me too. I think becaust the back catalogue has been re released on vinyl. So although i had a "best of" for years, id only really started listeng to Laughing Stock recently. I said on fb that it was like meeting an old friend only to lose him again. 

What i haven't heard is his solo album. I also bought the new Rustin Man album, which understandably is very reminiscent of Talk Talk

BnB 26 Feb 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Autobiographical oddity: Talk Talk's 4th album Spirit of Eden was engineered by legendary sound engineer Phill Brown, for which purpose he bought our flat in Highbury back in 1988 so that he could access Wessex Sound Studios at all times of the day or night.

louiswain 26 Feb 2019
In reply to toad:

"...What i haven't heard is his solo album..."

It's absolutely beautiful.

Post edited at 15:02
 AP Melbourne 03 Mar 2019
In reply to louiswain:

RIP MH. Addicted to Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden  to this day so'll revisit in honour.

If I'm not mistaken isn't World Party a spin-off band [Put the message in a box] ????

AP.

toad 03 Mar 2019
In reply to AP Melbourne:

WP were a spinoff of the Waterboys. Dont know about a talk talk link

AP Melbourne 06 Mar 2019
In reply to toad:

Ah yes, my error, ta toad.

TMM 06 Mar 2019
In reply to toad:

> WP were a spinoff of the Waterboys. Dont know about a talk talk link

World Party were indeed led by former Waterboy, Karl Wallinger and were effectively a nom de plume for his work. He has also sadly suffered from ill health which cut down his output considerably. Back performing again now I believe.

Just been listening to Talk Talk's 'I believe in you' heart breaking, aching stuff. Much missed already.

I love artists who reach that T junction their career where they could choose stardom, fame, big bucks and instead choose integrity and the artistic freedom to follow thier muse. It's also great listening to writers who compose songs that engage in the wider human condition.

pasbury 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Ascension Day and After the Flood from Laughing Stock are absolute genius.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...