John Irving's novels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 21 Jul 2020

Having just finished Widow for a Year, my total comes to 4 (with Prayer for Owen Meany, World According to Garp and Cider House Rules). I have only now looked at his complete list - it's huge! What do any more of his readers recommend I read next?

Gone for good 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I havent read it myself but a Prayer for Owen Meany seems to be highly recommended by most book reviews. 

Offwidth 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hardly that huge. I've read those and The Hotel New Hampshire... and felt they were all amazing so maybe I need the advice you're requesting as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Irving

C Witter 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think maybe you've read the best! I would definitely not recommend "Until I find you" - it's very long and becomes tedious about half-way through when the first 300-pages of the story unravels in one fell swoop.

So, maybe I'd recommend trying something else? Have you read E L Doctorow's Ragtime? If not, that's brilliant. Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint is fun. John Williams' Stoner is beautiful. John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces is hilarious. Just to mention a few!

DaveHK 22 Jul 2020
In reply to C Witter:

> I think maybe you've read the best! 

I'd agree with this. I enjoyed a few of them but like many prolific authors I started to find them a bit samey even though the storylines were often quite different.

wbo2 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko: I'd recommend John Updikes Rabbit series

jasonC abroad 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think I've read all those and also A Son Of The Circus which I found quite funny and A Widow For One Year which was also good.  Might re-read some of them as I must have read Garp about 25 years ago.

n1ge 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'd say his best four by far are: The World According to Garp, The Hotel New Hampshire, The Cider House Rules, A Prayer for Owen Meany. So to answer your question, you should definitely read The Hotel New Hampshire next.

OP Rog Wilko 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> I havent read it myself but a Prayer for Owen Meany seems to be highly recommended by most book reviews. 

I have read it and wondering if I might be going to read it again. It is one of the most memorable books I've ever read. You should read it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...