Edinburgh city break options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 05 Oct 2023

We are heading to Edinburgh for a few days later this month. Any recommendations on what to see, watch or listen too other than the usual tourist stuff? Thanks

65 05 Oct 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

If you get good weather, walk the Water of Leith walkway from Murrayfield to The Shore. Easy to pop out in various places to find a cafe (Stockbridge is good and roughly halfway). Both ends well served by public transport. The Leith shore has a wealth of good eateries and pubs.

Post edited at 23:20
 Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2023

> We are heading to Edinburgh for a few days later this month. Any recommendations on what to see, watch or listen too other than the usual tourist stuff? Thanks

What do you consider to be the 'usual tourist stuff', and how of that have you already experienced? And what kinds of things might you be hoping to 'listen to'? (The live music scene in Edinburgh is poor - but it depends what you like, and what day(s) you're there.)

However, here are three suggestions which you mightn't have thought of:

1. Take the #2 Lothian bus to the Shangri -La that is 'The Jewel.' (Timetable here: https://www.lothianbuses.com/timetable/?service_name=2) Most 'normal' tourists miss this completely!

2. Have a tour of the Scottish Parliament House, take a contemptuous shit on the desk of the Presiding Officer, and then spend a few nights in the police cells. You'll meet authentic 'local characters', experience the 'real Edinburgh',  and be guaranteed a return trip in due course!

3. Music: jump in front of one of the Edinburgh Trams, get admitted to the Royal Infirmary as a result, and then put in a request to the nightly show on the hospital broadcasting service, 'Red Dot Radio.' You'll hear exactly the music you like - and you'll get a friendly personal dedication!

65 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

You sound like you might be one of my neighbours, a born and bred one rather than an immigrant like me.

Mark Bull 06 Oct 2023

There is quite a good list of the slightly lesser known attractions here: https://independenttravelcats.com/edinburgh-attractions-hidden-things-to-do...

There is also this book for more esoteric things: https://jonglezpublishing.com/product/secret-edinburgh/

Garethza 06 Oct 2023

If you enjoy comedy, The Stand Comedy club is worth a visit - especially on the weekend. I would suggest booking a ticket though as its very small and intimate!

graeme jackson 06 Oct 2023

Bannermans and Whistlebinkies put on Music most nights. WB is free so worth a visit take the royal mile downhill then once you've crossed south bridge turn right down Niddry street., 

In reply to Garethza: Thanks. Does Rob Parsons have a slot there?

Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2023

> Thanks. Does Rob Parsons have a slot there?

I used to.

I left when Tommy Sheppard showed his true colours. He's a venal moron.

neilh 06 Oct 2023

Go on one of the walking tours round the city.If you are lucky like us we got a guy who waa a former film critic on the Scotsman and had supposedly won an Oscar for his part in writing the script for Braveheart( well that was his story!).

If you are a Harry Potter fan there is loads to go at.

Walk up Arthurs Seat.There are superb restuarants. Try Leftfield .Fantastic place.

Visited Edinburgh for the first time during the festival. Bowled over by the place.You will enjoy it, but no kayaking...lol

graeme jackson 06 Oct 2023
In reply to neilh:

> , but no kayaking...lol

There's the river Almond from above Cramond Brig down to the Forth. Fun in places. 

DizzyVizion 06 Oct 2023

If you get lucky with the weather a walk across the Forth Road Bridge could be quite nice. Then to end the day a walk down to South Queensferry for some fish and chips beneath the Forth Rail Bridge, which should be lit up with pretty lights if you time it well.

Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2023
In reply to graeme jackson:

> There's the river Almond from above Cramond Brig down to the Forth. Fun in places. 

A walk along that same stretch of river is also very pleasant. Each time I look down into the gorge from the old bridge, I tell myself I should come back in salmon season.

DizzyT 06 Oct 2023

Currently cheap train fares to Glasgow. Jump on a train and you’ll have a great time. There’s more fun to be had at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyT:

> Currently cheap train fares to Glasgow. Jump on a train and you’ll have a great time. There’s more fun to be had at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Funny thing (well, not so funny actually): coming back to Edinburgh from Glasgow on the last train one Saturday night, I witnessed a stabbing in the carriage.

Note to self: next time, take the 900 bus.

However, I do agree with your overall sentiment. For things like live music, Glasgow wins hands down.

BrendanO 06 Oct 2023

Arthur’s Seat; Portobello Beach; Botanic Gardens; Modern Art Gallery; Chambers St Museum. 

Cafe Royal pub is very very nice; 10 min walk away is Calton Hill which is pretty cool for such an easy walk.

Some of those things ARE very touristy, for the simple reason they’re great things to do.

if pissing down, climbing walls with nearby food/drink include

Alien Bloc (Crumbs cafe- best tortilla in Edinburgh and a local secret)

Alien Rock - first dedicated wall in the country (Porto & Fi, great fish pie, salmon quiche, and a nice wine list)

Eden - a bit out of town but nice coffee and cake, burger van outside and… IKEA? (Secret Garden cafe if u have a car)

EICA Ratho - amazing James Bond villain’s lair, great (route-)setting, quarry and canal. However, 5 miles out from city edge. Bridge Inn at Ratho is nice, 15 min walk from EICA and has a bus service back to town.

Avoiding what others have mentioned. Really depends on your interests, but there are lots of quirky and more unusual things if they are your thing to take time to see in Edinburgh.

Just a few random ones for example

- Morningside’s Wild West Town (can be a brief 15 mins in the passing if in the area https://www.scotsmagazine.com/articles/z-edinburgh-morningsides-wild-west-t... - that link also gives some other unusual things at bottom, but unfortunately the general a-z and some others of the links don’t work anymore).

-  tunnels and Edinburgh’s underground town.

- secret gardens like Dr Neil’s in Duddingston, but also Japanese garden and Royal Mile ones.

- Antony Gormley Statues, six to find, on the Water of Leith if walking the waters anyway which also has other things to see like St Bernard’s Well and covers some wildlife like Kingfishers and otters if that is of interest. Can also link to Dean Village area.

- Dean Village and gardens.

- inside the RBS building in St Andrew’s Sq for architecture, but there is so much in both old and new town parts.

TechnoJim 07 Oct 2023

Get yourself to BABA on George Street for a feed. Quite pricey but amazing food.

If it's raining the following galleries are well worth a look.

National gallery.

Modern one & two.

National portrait gallery.

Patriot Hall.

Also.

Mary King's close. Touristy but fascinating. As is Holyrood House and the royal yacht.

The Dominion cinema.

Kays bar, St Vincent bar and the Stockbridge tap.

Victor Hugo's deli across from the Meadows.

Walk through Inverleith Park to the Botanic Gardens.

Check out St Mary's cathedral for occasional concerts.

Wander through the New Town, especially Moray Place and nearby streets. Over to Stockbridge for the Sunday market and walk up through Ann St back to Dean Bridge for a view.

Ignoring the Da Vinci Code stuff, Rosslyn chapel a few miles southeast  is worth a visit. Bus service from Edinburgh. Might be  a bit busy because of the Da Vinci code stuff. If that is your thing , you can find Tom Hanks and Dolly Parton in the visitors book!

Pedro50 07 Oct 2023
In reply to twentytwoangrymen:

There's a Vermeer at the National Gallery.

In reply to Pedro50:

> There's a Vermeer at the National Gallery.

I know, it's huge. Just looking at that painting can take up an hour of your time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...