Das Boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 06 Feb 2019

Glad they kept the theme tune; hope the young lads know the words to "Tipperary".

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Is there a remake? 

Lusk 06 Feb 2019

"This meat is hairy."

Brilliant film.

Tringa 06 Feb 2019

Please tell me they haven't done a remake.

I can understand remakes if the original was rubbish but not when it was as good as this original.

Dave

Anyone remember the remake of Get Carter? Aaargh!

Pedro50 06 Feb 2019
In reply to Tringa:

I think it's a sequel. 

OP Tom Valentine 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Yes, a sequel on Sky Atlantic, boat  with inexperienced captain, lot more action onshore with Resistance in La Rochelle, looks promising after # 1 but who knows?

Ah, sky, I might have to wait a while then. I guess this one has English dialogue? 

In reply to Presley Whippet:

Hardly any English so far,  a co-German production.

Blue Straggler 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Ah, sky, I might have to wait a while then. I guess this one has English dialogue? 

Apparently it's got women in it!

In reply to Blue Straggler:

It's the girl from Phantom Thread, not high in the glamour stakes but a bit of a polyglot.

Stichtplate 07 Feb 2019

4 episodes in. S’okay, in a soapy sort of way. While the original went for drama through realism, this goes for drama over realism. They’ve also lost much of the sweaty claustrophobia that made the original so gripping.

More-On 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Does anyone shout ALARM?

If not I won't bother...

...as that and the claustrophobic atmosphere of the original made it.

In reply to More-On:

- not to forget the sound effects: the propellers and sonar pings of the destroyers followed by the depth charges. Or the bolts from the hull imploding when sunken in the depths out of Gibraltar. A good sound system with a capable subwoofer is absolutely a must. 

OP Tom Valentine 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I think your "soapy" comment is a bit unfair. I don't see 1940's La Rochelle being portrayed in a downmarket sort of way. Which also explains the lack of claustrophobia, since more than half the story is not set underwater. To be fair to the producers, it makes no attempt to match the original but instead uses it as a source for a new narrative.

Also intrigued as to which aspects of the show are less realistic than its forbear (though I'm no expert).

OP Tom Valentine 08 Feb 2019
In reply to More-On:

They shout ALARM all the time. 

But they haven't sung "Tipperary" yet.

These young 'uns!

What a great film the original was. I guess I'm the only person here to have been in the mock-up U-boat that was used in the movie - it was still on the backlot of the Bavarian Film Studios when I was fortunate enough to work for Wolfgang Petersen in 1984. It was quite scary just going inside that mock-up, it was so small and claustrophobic.

Stichtplate 08 Feb 2019

”soapy” and unrealistic with regards to the plot. The relationships depicted, on and off shore, committed Nazis didn’t tend to switch sides, seemingly on a whim, and U-boat crews were regarded as a close knit elite of the Kriegsmarine rather than the fractious and mutinous lot shown here.

maybe I’m being unfair, still watching and enjoying it. Perhaps it just suffers a little in the shadow of the original.

Removed User 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I went in the 1 in Liverpool before they cut it up and then displayed it.  Took my 15 year old son. It must have made an impression as hes now a warfare officer on Tridents.

cb294 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

No you are not, I have been there, too (guided school tour to the Bavaria studios back in whenever...)

CB

Stichtplate 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

> I went in the 1 in Liverpool before they cut it up and then displayed it.  Took my 15 year old son. It must have made an impression as hes now a warfare officer on Tridents.

Took my kids to see it after they’d chopped it. Horrendous to see such a rare and important piece of our collective history treated in such a brutal fashion.

More-On 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Couldn't agree more on the sound, or lack of on occasion - really heightened the atmosphere.

Post edited at 11:11
 More-On 08 Feb 2019

Excellent news and I'm sure there's time!

Removed User 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I never thought about it like that. Your right of course

Gone for good 10 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> maybe I’m being unfair, still watching and enjoying it. Perhaps it just suffers a little in the shadow of the original.

I agree. 5 episodes in and the on shore story leaves a little to be desired. The boat story is quite gripping though.

Stichtplate 10 Feb 2019

Just finished the last episode. Rather subdued ending to a series which, subjectively at least, was substandard in comparison to the original. It's been optioned for a subsequent series though which I'm sure to dive into when it eventually surfaces.

OP Tom Valentine 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

The ending was enjoyably predictable, I thought. Look forward to seeing their come -uppance.

Gone for good 14 Feb 2019

What happened to the other guy in the liferaft I wonder? Predictable, yes, but like you say enjoyable. A few twists and turns to come no doubt. Now I can catch up with the last couple of episodes of Tin Star.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...