Calvin and Clare : A story of Irish rock climbing (documentary)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeruckus 22 Oct 2023

I just saw this linked elsewhere and hadn't seen it posted on this forum. Cormac Campbell's 2022 documentary about Calvin Torrans and Clare Sherridan is available to rent or stream online (£) here:

https://calvinandclareclimbingfilm.vhx.tv/

(The trailer's free to watch, looks beautifully made, I haven't watched the film yet).

Blurb lifted from the Irish Film Institute page:

Whether tethered together and climbing vertiginous rock faces or chatting at the kitchen table, Calvin Torrans and Clare Sheridan are perfectly attuned. This new documentary offers insight into the life of two of Ireland’s most accomplished and respected rock climbers who have been climbing partners and life partners for over 45 years.

The film follows the couple on a weekend climbing on the iconic cliffs of Fair Head, Co Antrim when Clare attempts the first ascent of a new route. She recalls a time when young women, even intrepid ones like her, were told “girls don’t climb”. Calvin speaks of the changes in practice and equipment since the simpler early days of climbing in Ireland when climbers simply tied a rope around their waist and set off into the unknown. As a climber himself director Cormac Campbell captures the nuances of the climb and deftly inter-weaves breath-taking footage with an intimate but unintrusive interview with this remarkable couple.

DIRECTOR: CORMAC CAMPBELL

38 mins, Ireland, 2022, Digital

Post edited at 22:10
 Mick Ward 23 Oct 2023
In reply to joeruckus:

I bought it and watched it. It's superb. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

They're a remarkable couple. For the last fifty or so years (more like 60, in Calvin's case) they've quietly got on with it, with little fuss or fanfare. The result? Hundreds of new routes, particularly at Fair Head. And a lot of high-level activity in the Alps and greater ranges. 

Mick 

Offwidth 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Clare is a major role model for women in guidebook production in the UK and Ireland, but we still have a long way to go.  Think on how many other women have edited climbing guidebooks on our islands:. unless I've missed some, we are still counting them on the fingers of our second hand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...