'Beast' - the movie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've just seen 'Beast', which has been described as 'Jaws with paws' (a car being attacked by a ferocious, wounded lion), and thought it was terrific and even better than Jaws. It's a curious film, dismissed by many as a B-movie, that seems to divide viewers sharply into those who think it's total crap and those who think it's great. I belong to the second class. It's just so gripping from beginning to end, and so well crafted. In fact, I think it's about the most terrifying two hours I've ever spent in a cinema. I'm not someone to want to put my hands over my face ever in the cinema, but I only refrained from doing so at key moments, because I'm a film-maker and wanted to savour the craft. I found the relentless suspense absolutely gruelling.

But, as I say, the curious thing is that for many people it doesn't work at all. As was shown when I came out into the foyer and found that we were divided into two sharply different camps: those who hadn't been frightened at all and those, like me, who were literally shaking.

It's almost like a masterclass in suspense, brilliantly shot, and with a good script with well-developed characters.

Towering, unsurprisingly, over the other great actors is the great Idris Elba, who here gives an Oscar-worthy performance.

But it's so good in so many other ways, mostly technical. The CGI with the lion (created entirely in CGI - no real lions were used in the entire movie, apparently, except for some small amounts of credited stock footage) is absolutely incredible - just 100% realistic, and shows just what a long way CGI has come even since The Life of Pi. If it doesn't take the Oscar for best digital effects I'd be astounded.

Many critics have said words to the effect that it's ridiculous and far-fetched, apparently forgetting that the essence of cinema is the suspension of disbelief. This it right up there with the best of Hitchcock and Spielberg.

65 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'll look out for it, I love a good 'b' monster movie (especially anything by Tourneur). It does however sound like the kind of film I'd automatically dismiss but your recommendations carry a bit more weight than most, for me anyway. 

In reply to 65:

I really mean it: it's absolutely TERRIFYING! And just so well crafted.

PS. There was a point in the movie where I thought of walking out, because I just couldn't take it any more, it was just too scary. I don't recall ever wanting to walk out of a movie before for that reason.

Post edited at 15:11
 65 29 Sep 2022

I've only ever felt like that while watching the news.

In reply to 65:

Yup. Just to tell you how scary that lion is, it's nearly as scary as Liz Trump or John Redwood. But of course no film-maker, however skilful, could create any beings as scary as that, for all the animatronics in the world.

65 29 Sep 2022

> it's nearly as scary as Liz Trump or John Redwood. 

Right, you've scared me off now. I'm not going.

PS: I just watched the trailer. It does look good, proper tension, more so than the ripples in the cup in Jurassic Park (which I enjoyed, save for the annoying child).

Post edited at 15:29
In reply to 65:

Yup again, we have to consider our health in advancing years.

In reply to 65:

Jurassic Park was disappointingly weak, I thought. Beast I found way better. Interestingly it has elements of Spielberg's first great film, Duel.

Post edited at 15:32
 Eam1 29 Sep 2022

A must see then, better than jaws is quite the claim!

65 29 Sep 2022

> Interestingly it has elements of Spielberg's first great film, Duel.

High praise!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...