Ayn Rand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 02 Nov 2022

Just been listening to a kind of docudrama on Radio 4 called Talk to Me - Ayn Rand. Brilliant and an example of how radio is so much better than TV - the pictures are better (as someone once said). Highly recommended.

stubbed 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What's it about? I am always looking out for good podcasts etc

OP Rog Wilko 02 Nov 2022
In reply to stubbed:

Google Ayn Rand

DaveHK 02 Nov 2022
In reply to stubbed:

> What's it about? I am always looking out for good podcasts etc

I'm going to guess it's about Ayn Rand.

Pedro50 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I will have a listen. I was introduced to Diana Quick backstage at the Old Vic in 1976. I'm sure she remembers the occasion as fondly as I do.

Dave Garnett 02 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm going to guess it's about Ayn Rand.

Yes, and apparently she was selfish, controlling, completely lacked empathy, claimed never to have had an emotional thought and was unable to change her view when faced with contrary evidence.

Well, there's a surprise.

Post edited at 16:16
 dread-i 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Yes, and apparently she was selfish, controlling, completely lacked empathy, claimed never to have had an emotional thought and was unable to change her view when faced with contrary evidence.

> Well, there's a surprise.

And a role model for the Republican party, according to the prog. Still, it saves one from having to read her books.

For reference, my extensive review of Atlas Shrugged

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/politics/help_me_to_understand-752269?v=1...

TobyA 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Google Ayn Rand

I know who Ayn Rand was and all about her political "philosophy", but what is the play about - her life? Her philosophy etc.?

The New NickB 02 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

It was this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000p107

The Rand Bros on YouTube didn’t like it one bit. 

Dave Garnett 02 Nov 2022
In reply to dread-i:

> For reference, my extensive review of Atlas Shrugged

See also: The Sovereign Individual by Davidson and Rees-Mogg (his dad)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sovereign_Individual 

Offwidth 02 Nov 2022
In reply to dread-i:

Just loved the Rogers quote in that other thread...

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Shani 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

> Just loved the Rogers quote in that other thread...

> "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Spot on! 😄

In reply to Offwidth:

Does that mean we cant listen to Rush’s 2112? Asking for a friend

TobyA 02 Nov 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

> The Rand Bros on YouTube didn’t like it one bit. 

I've not heard that term before but know exactly who you mean and can guess what they look like! Don't worry, you can distract by tossing a copy of the Road to Serfdom into their path and they can't but help pick it up and stroke it a bit.

OP Rog Wilko 02 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

It’s a drama about her personal life and character.

dread-i 02 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Thanks, I've not seen that. Curious how his views and those of his son are wildly different, yet eerily similar. 

aln 04 Nov 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I'd never heard that album so I had a listen just now. Oh dear. The intro was great but the squeaky vocals.... I actually laughed 

In reply to aln:

its a bit like Dave Mustaine with Megadeth, you kind of filter out the higher frequencies after a bit. Must have been ok though, Rush shifted gazillions of albums in spite of Geddy Lee’s voice

Offwidth 04 Nov 2022

I'm not particularly a Rush fan but thought their documentary was a really great watch.... a band with a massive devoted following that just got on with happy success in it's own way, irrespective of critics and the music industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush:_Beyond_the_Lighted_Stage

In reply to Offwidth:

yes, i enjoyed that documentary. The band have a lot of heart, and like you say a huge devoted following. it helps being virtuosos on their instruments

aln 08 Nov 2022

I'm not a fan of the band Pavement but I heard this song today on 6music and it has a funny couple of lines about Geddy Lee.

youtube.com/watch?v=AnrM4UjaQmY&

In reply to aln:

very good!
I’ve been listening to them and seeing them at gigs since the mid ‘70s and I guess I filter out Geddy’s voice pitch. However I can’t be the only one to do that as 42 million album sales isn’t too shabby. Same for Megadeth as I mentioned further up. When I heard the first album I thought ‘really?’ about Dave Mustaine’s voice, but I’m still listening to them now and can’t imagine anyone else singing Holy Wars.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...