Anti-war

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 18 Oct 2023

If some demographics will insist on using violence to express themselves, then I reserve the right to use culture to express myself in return. And so here are a couple of anti-war "pieces" that I vibe with

Orgasmatron by Sepultura

Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut

That's all I can stomach, but please do add your own...

wintertree 18 Oct 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

Kelly’s Heroes is one of my all time favourite movies and I’d say it has quite a lot of anti-war messaging.

65 18 Oct 2023

Prisoner of the Mountains, a Russian film by Sergei Bodrov is one of the most moving anti-war films I have seen. Of course there's also the Belarusian film Come and See. It is essential viewing, but once is enough.

nathan79 18 Oct 2023

Are you aware Orgasmatron is a cover of a Mötorhead original? Both great versions.

"War Pigs" by Black Sabbath. I love every second of that song. A musical and lyrical treat.

Tom Last 19 Oct 2023

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Eric Bogle

cragtyke 19 Oct 2023

Shipbuilding by Robert Wyatt, or Elvis Costello. Elvis wrote it but Robert's version is wonderful. It's worth looking up on Wikipedia.

War by Edwin Starr

Dr.S at work 19 Oct 2023

“Bill the galactic hero” by Harry Harrison

”the Forever War” by joe haldeman 

redscotti 19 Oct 2023

Eve of Destruction by Barry Maguire

Masters of War by Bob Dylan

(and many more from the Vietnam years)

Post edited at 08:13
 nastyned 19 Oct 2023

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

Not Me by the Subhumans is probably my favourite anti-war song, though Should I ever be soldier by Joe Hill is great too. 

Andy Hardy 19 Oct 2023

Willie McBride; don't know who wrote it, but it's been covered by loads of folk singers / bands.

wittenham 19 Oct 2023

Mrs McGrath, by many.

Andy Clarke 19 Oct 2023

Much more complex than simple anti-war protest songs, but for a profound reflection on humanity's insatiable appetite for self-destruction, one of PJ Harvey's masterpiece albums: Let England Shake.

And for a literary equivalent from the 1930s, the difficult but utterly brilliant In Parenthesis, by David Jones.

Offwidth 19 Oct 2023

The Penguin book of 1st World War Poetry

Catch 22

The Tin Drum

The Good Soldier Švejk

Jonny Got His Gun

Most of Bank's Cuture Novels

The Forever War

Rob Exile Ward 19 Oct 2023
In reply to redscotti:

That's interesting - Eve of destruction is one of my nominations for 'worst single ever', up with/down with 'Where do you go to, my lovely'...

fred99 19 Oct 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> Kelly’s Heroes is one of my all time favourite movies and I’d say it has quite a lot of anti-war messaging.

I'd go for "All quiet on the Western Front" - the original version where many who actually fought were extras.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Do you mean Arthur McBride? The Paul Brady version is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g&

Andy Hardy 19 Oct 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

No, I got the title wrong!

youtube.com/watch?v=XDyip7SIJkQ&

65 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Wow, I think Eve of Destruction is pretty powerful as sung by Barry McGuire and within the context it was written, (sadly still relevant). I agree about Where do you go, that's as bad as Streets of London or American Pie, Many a good house party ruined by someone with a guitar and one of those songs.

Post edited at 13:43
 spenser 19 Oct 2023

Book wise:

Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut

No Picnic on Mount Kenya by Felice Benuzzi (the power of this is magnified for those who have read the likes of The Great Escape as it underlines how similar many of the soldiers actually were)

Forever war by Joe Halderman

Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer (again, underscoring the similarity between people who would have been soldiers, Harrer was mainly able to avoid the war by being on an expedition at its outbreak).

In reply to spenser:

I was disappointed by the way that Harrer skipped over and minimised his involvement with the Nazi party during the events described in Seven Years in Tibet. It's a great book but hard to claim it was anti-war when it's author was, at various times, a member of the SA and the SS. He addressed it later and called his involvement with the Nazis a youthful mistake: unfortunately, that "youthful mistake", made by millions, caused the most destructive war there has ever been.

spenser 19 Oct 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I didn't know about his involvement with the nazis, Seven Years in Tibet gave a strong impression that he felt significant distaste towards the war. It sounds like his involvement with the SS was fairly tangential, however he was a member of the SA for much longer and they enabled Hitler's consolidation of power which is difficult to forgive.

Bottom Clinger 19 Oct 2023

War Pigs, Black Sabbath. I’m getting goose bumps singing it in my head !  That intro with the siren, that bass, those symbols, Ozzys vocals… Generals gathered in their masses….!!!!

Just seen Nathan beat me to it. It’s worth a double post though. 

Post edited at 20:00
 wintertree 19 Oct 2023
In reply to 65:

> Wow, I think Eve of Destruction is pretty powerful as sung by Barry McGuire

It’s one of the most marmite songs out there.  His performance of it resonates with me.

>  that's as bad as Streets of London

Awful, isn’t it.  But McTell’s “first and last man” is haunting and whilst not explicitly about war, paints a vision of where we’re headed.  Reminds me of Willie Nelson’s “Time of the preacher”

robert-hutton 19 Oct 2023

The combination of soft melody's and news clips that shaped my childhood i find quite humbling.

https://youtu.be/1uqNLnEzDLA?si=kc2dbkq_CLxY4Os6

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Eric Bogle wrote it

Ian Campbell' s song"The Sun is Burning"

nastyned 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Rhymes masses with masses though. 

Lankyman 19 Oct 2023

N n n n n n n n - nineteen!

Dr.S at work 19 Oct 2023
In reply to spenser:

> I didn't know about his involvement with the nazis, Seven Years in Tibet gave a strong impression that he felt significant distaste towards the war. It sounds like his involvement with the SS was fairly tangential, however he was a member of the SA for much longer and they enabled Hitler's consolidation of power which is difficult to forgive.

Austrian colleagues who met him say he was very right wing and rather nasty.

Will Oliver 20 Oct 2023

Hero of War by rise against

KarimH 22 Oct 2023

I can highly recommend George Orwell’s Homage to Catalonia - it contains quite a lot of anti-war messaging if you read between the lines. 

Also, for anyone who cares to understand a bit more about the historical context of what’s happening in the world at the moment, beyond an inexplicable “insistence” on violence, I can only recommend Ilan Pappé’s The ethnic cleansing of Palestine. It’s quite dense but very very thorough. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...