A Village in the Third Reich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just finished reading this, by Julia Boyd and Angelika Patel. About Oberstdorf in the Allgau area of Bavaria before,during and in the few years post WW 2. I had forgotten that this was the home village of Ludwig Vorg and Anderl Heckmair who were on the first ascent of Eiger Nordwand. Both get a number of mentions in the story. 

Offwidth 13 Nov 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Any climbing, mountaineering or mountain environment content?

In reply to Offwidth:

Quite a number of mentions given the village sits below the Nebelhorn in the Allgau Alps.

65 13 Nov 2023

I was there not long before Covid. It might be the most touristy place I've ever been and makes Chamonix look like a sleepy little undiscovered hamlet full of inbred cretins. OK, maybe not that bad. Good for buying schnaps and grappa though. 

In reply to 65:

It was touristy during the Third Reich as well as the book makes more than clear.

Interesting bit in the book about the ascent by a Nazi climbing group of Mount Elbrus, led by Heinz Groth who later lived in Oberstdorf. Fascinating bit of social history generally.

65 13 Nov 2023

I'll look it up, I used to spend a bit of time in Bavaria but Allgäu isn't well known to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...